Unknown India Rupee - ID Help Please!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I've been starting in on Indian coins, but I have no idea what I am doing. Just got this silver rupee (I think it is a rupee) - it is 18 mm in diameter and weighs 10.5 grams.

It has what looks like stylized sun rays on one side. I've been ransacking Google image searches, but I am not really coming close - Gwalior? The edge has many interesting shroff marks.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Many thanks.

India Rupee - unknown Jan 2019.jpg

India Rupee - unknown Jan 2019b.jpg

Parthicus and Theodosius like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That is one chunky boy. I too know nothing of Indian coins but just wanted to say that I like yours. :D

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  4. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Translation. Furryfrog02 just said he likes chunky boys. Especially when they're Indian.

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Mewar coins have a similar sun ray mark, but I don't see that exact inscription in my copies of The Standard Catalog. I would guess that the photo on right at top is upside down.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Marsyas Mike likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Had to double check....but I definitely said chunky coin :p

7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

8. Marsyas Mike

Thank you LaCointessa - I found some Gwalior and Mewar that are similar to mine - I just can't seem to find that stylized "sun ray" (as I interpret it). I do appreciate the suggestion. I don't think my coin has been "spooned" but it does have a lot of Shroff marks. Found this article:

https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n42a16.html

Muzyck - thank you for the suggestion - Mewar had some similar issues, so I found on a Google image search, but still no sun rays. As for being upside down I appreciate the upside down correction - I'm sure you are right!

LaCointessa and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Try searching for Mewar #C26. The plate coin in The Standard Catalog varies quite a bit. The plate coin in an old copy I have of the Craig book is closer. There is another one out on the net in another forum that is real close. Good luck.

edit; here is one on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mewar-silv...h=item25c9c97cb9:g:XB4AAOSwo4pYO4-X:rk:1:pf:0

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Marsyas Mike and LaCointessa like this.
  10. LaCointessa

Thanks a lot for directing us to the article on schroff marks. I enjoyed reading it and bookmarked that website so I can go back and read other articles. Looks like an interesting place for further study.

LaC

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  11. Marsyas Mike

Thank you so much Muzyck - that eBay auction looks a lot like mine. I consulted the Standard Catalog and you are right - it doesn't look as much like mine, and I don't have a copy of Craig. I will continue to hunt - I thank you for putting me on the right track.

12. Mithril

Mithril Member

Yes - Mewar, KM C26, i.n.o. Alamgir II, AR Rupee, Chitor mint,

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=152716

Zeno is probably the best site for eastern coins - though it can be hard to navigate if you don't know where to start.

Muzyck, Marsyas Mike and LaCointessa like this.
  13. LaCointessa

Thank you for this link! And, welcome to CoinTalk @Mithril !

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  14. Marsyas Mike

Thank you for the link, Mithril. And welcome to CoinTalk - it is a great place to hang out. :)

Last week I found several examples of C26 that looked a lot like mine - and several (such as the Standard Catalog plate coin) that didn't look much like it at all.

Some of the most comprehensive information I found was on this world of coins forum post (although unfortunately the photos have disappeared)

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=5027.0

Draft saved Draft deleted