Unknown European silver coin found in Israel

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by VD76, Jun 21, 2021.

1. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

Bingo!!! William the Conqueror . Here is CNG coin and according to them that is Dumas group B/C plate XIX no. 16 .

4E3E286E-0C81-46D8-A9E6-AA9AD91B1C6B.jpeg

FRANCE, Provincial. Normandie (duché). Guillaume II le Conquérant (William the Conqueror). 1035-1087. AR Denier (18mm, 0.90 g). Rotomagus (Rouen) mint. Cross pattée; annulets in quarters; all within double linear and pelleted border / Schematized pediment; IO-IO/OV flanking. Dumas Group B/C and cf. pl. XIX, 16; cf. Legros 326; Duplessy, Féodales –; Poey d'Avant –; Roberts –. Toned. VF. Exceptional for issue. Very rare, none in CoinArchives.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

The cng one is nicer than the Zeus one! While yours may be a bit cruder, the fact that it was found in Israel makes it so much more interesting!

VD76 likes this.
  4. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

Coin at Zeus had gone for 160 euros and I stopped bidding at 150. Even that’s pretty cheap for that coin . ( I think :) ) Coin at CNG sold for $850 .
    Coin from Zeus
    713D55C0-7E8B-4D2F-98DC-9D3D4F8A91DA.jpeg
    and another from acsearch
    FF01EBA8-D2AE-41DC-88BA-A0722C5930A4.jpeg

5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

The Zeus one was most certainly a Levantine find aswell.

VD76 and FitzNigel like this.
  6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Yea, I’m actually a little sad I didn’t bid on the Zeus coin. Although I had an unpleasant experience with them in the past, so would rather not give them my business…

VD76 likes this.
  7. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

See my above post. I didn't doubt for a minute that you had access to something by Dumas that I didn't; I was only saying, when will this be catalogued in a comprehensive way?

8. +VGO.DVCKS

...Look at how many sources were not cited --or citable.

9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

sorry if my post was a little terse - I thought I had written more than I had in the previous post mentioned. The Dumas article I referenced is probably about as comprehensive as we can get. Moesgaard has provided some tweaks to chronology, but otherwise I think we are now dependent on archaeological finds to provide better context. (I have yet to track down a copy of Legros, but I suspect his/her (I don’t know) attributions follow Poey d’Avant from cross-references I have seen - and I have no clue how Poey d’Avant decided to attribute things…)

A digital version of the Dumas article is available though - I can’t remember where I found it, but I am happy to share. The images in the print version are much nicer however.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

@FitzNigel, Blessings On Your House! Thank you, I, well, Kind of Freaking Want this (expletive of choice) Dumas article.
    Except, no worries, relative to your (much) real (-er) life; the anticipation will be integral to the aggregate proccess.

Draft saved Draft deleted