unknown egyptian coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Alasdair Kerr, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Alasdair Kerr

Alasdair Kerr New Member

Hi All

I have this unknown Egyptian coin...can any of you coin genuises out there tell me what i've got

cheers

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Not Egypt but Turkey. Muhammad V, 1909 to 1918AD (AH1327-36). I suspect 5 Kurush but I would need dimensions to be sure as I can't make out all the details in the (poor) Krause images!

4. Alasdair Kerr

Alasdair Kerr New Member

thanks..tell me why they are poor images for future ref.

5. Alasdair Kerr

Alasdair Kerr New Member

hi again on the three pronged side on the lower part my coin has like a v above the line whereas the 5 kurush i have looked at has what looks like a 7 above the line

6. PaddyB

Right - I think your "V" is the Arabic for the number 7, meaning year 7 of the issue, which is 1915.
    As to why the Krause pictures are not great - they use photocopies of real coins and a lot depends on the condition of the coin they have used. In my copy of Krause the pictures of the 2 Kurush for Muhammad V are particularly bad.
    By the way - Arabic coins are not my area - I just happen to have come on the Egypt/Turkey confusion many times myself when sorting through job lots of foreign coins!

7. Alasdair Kerr

Alasdair Kerr New Member

The photos were taken by my brother a pro. Photographer

8. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

He is referring to his reference book’s photographs, not the ones you posted. Those are really good!

9. Alasdair Kerr

Alasdair Kerr New Member

yeah i figured that out after posting lol

10. PaddyB

Yes - sorry I was not impugning your photos at all, they were great. It doesn't help when the reference books photos are poor though.

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted