unknown delhi sultanate coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Muhammad Niazi, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I have this copper coin of diameter 14mm which is of the delhi sultanate of india, what I dont know is its denomination and under which king it was made. Any help in identifying will be appreciated!

15292739_10154395624172562_1125334046_o.jpg 15304035_10154395624292562_510903302_o.jpg

Theodosius and lordmarcovan like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Your attribution of "Delhi Sultanate" tells me you're already way, way ahead of me on material like this. ;)

I've always thought these were neat looking coins, though, and I like their thick chunkiness.

It isn't really relevant to your post, but here are some coins that I sold not long ago on eBay (as "unknowns"- I suspect they're from that part of the world, too- but obviously I know little about this kind of stuff).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chrsmat71, NOS and Deacon Ray like this.
  4. Muhammad Niazi

yup, these are indian coins (I live in pakistan which used to be part of these kingdoms many years ago), but they dont look like delhi sultanate. maybe of some other kingdoms, I recall seeing the one with the crescent on it somehwere, cant remember. How much you sold them for?

Theodosius likes this.
  5. Muhammad Niazi

Even the portugese, british and dutch made such coins in early times (1600-1700)
    So you never know what is whose. There is just thousands of different coins in this region.

Theodosius and Deacon Ray like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

I don't remember what I sold them for now- not much- perhaps in the upper $10s to low $20s for each lot. But didn't have much invested in them, either.

You're right- the sheer variety of Indian and central Asian coins is staggering, and a bit bewildering to an English-speaking Westerner like myself. This is the reason my only experience with Indian coins has been confined to British India!

7. Muhammad Niazi

Well I identified the coin. Unfortunately it isnt a delhi sultanate coin, but more interestingly it is a ghaznavid dynasty coin under yamin bahram shah, 1117-1157AD.
    This was the time when the ghaznavids became a tributary of the seljuqs and this dude eventually led the ghaznavids to its disintegration.

This is a copper jital and it is of the lahore mint (lahore is even where I live :p)

Theodosius, NOS and KIWITI like this.
  8. Muhammad Niazi

and if you invert the first picture, that is actually a bull drawn. I could have never recognized that without the internet. lol The intricacy of indian coins is just immense!

Theodosius and KIWITI like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

Neat! Your coin is much older than I expected.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Your coin is listed in a book I like quite a bit and suggest you seek out if you can find it. Living Without Silver by John Deyell, Oxford India Paperbacks 1999, New Dehli covers the monetary history of early medieval North India. Your coin is shown as #106 or 107. He mentions the number 7 on the jhula (blanket cloth on bull) which shows clearly on your coin but does not define a meaning. His chapter on Yaminid coins does say that they are not usually found in hoards of the slightly later billon coins probably because the Yaminids were know to debase their silver more than generally acceptable. Deyell is more of a book on monetary and economic history than a catalog for collectors but it has decent plates and extensive captions. It was not expensive as I recall but took months to arrive when I ordered it by mail. I do not know if such things are better or worse for where you are located. I need to reread it (it has been a few years since I read it and I have studied jitals more since then). The coin is #110 in Robert Tye's Jitals but harder to ID from his idealized drawings and nothing is said about the type beyond the listing. I usually look in Tye first but this is a case where Deyell was more useful.
    The following is offered for its humor value. The prices quoted in dollars would be about right for Rupees. The book for all its merits is not worth $600-1800.
    https://www.amazon.com/Living-Without-Silver-Monetary-Medieval/dp/0195622162

Theodosius likes this.
  11. Muhammad Niazi

I will try finding this book, can you take a picture of the page where the coin is listed?

12. Muhammad Niazi

Here is another jital i have in the bull and horse format. I beleive it to be of delhi under prithviraj chauhan.

Attached Files:

chrsmat71 and Theodosius like this.
  13. Muhammad Niazi

I have 2 such coins of prithviraj chauhan. the second one has a different design on the horse rider side, but the bull side is the same.
    15310845_10154396273042562_1329953545_o.jpg

14. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

This last one is not from Delhi under Prithvi Raja III.
    It is a Quarlughid bull and horseman jital issued under Saif-ud-din Hasan Quarlugh, attributed to Nandana mint.
    On the Bull's side it reads "Sri Hasana Kuralaka" in Sharada script.

NOS likes this.
  15. Muhammad Niazi

so is the second last one i posted from prithviraj?

16. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

No, both are likely the same Quarlughid type.
    The last picture you showed should be turned 90 degrees anti-clockwise. Then you also see the bottom part of the horseman. But the top part is off flan.

This is what a Prithvi Raja (III) Chauhan Jital from Dehli looks like:
    PrithviRajaIIIW.jpg
    Bull's side: Text "ASaVaRi Sri SaMaNta DeVa"
    Horseman's side: "Sri Pri / Thvi RaJa DeVa"

chrsmat71 likes this.
  17. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A and D are 1/2 rupees of Bhutan, modern hammered issues, like this...

[​IMG]

Bhutan
    Æ 1/2 rupee (Deb); 21mm, 4.8g, 6h; Period III, 1835-1910
    Obv.: Geometric pattern
    Rev.: Geometric pattern with letter sa.
    Reference: KM 7.1

18. lordmarcovan

Thanks. I'm afraid that once one departs from the Roman or Cyrillic alphabets (or maybe Greek, if I'm persistent in my head-scratching), and there are no pictorial elements to the design, I'm pretty much lost and it's all "just squigglies" to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted