Unknown coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Maven, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Maven

Maven New Member

Was curious if anyone could tell me what time frame this coin was made? 20171113_011223.jpg 20171113_011238.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I take it that those are the two sides of a single coin....

The upper image is the obverse from a denarius of the emperor Caracalla. The lower image is from what looks like an aureus of Diocletian. These coins are separated in time by about 100 years.

What you have here is a fantasy piece where the obverse of two coins have been cast and joined together to create something likely intended for jewellery of similar.

Regards,
    Martin

ominus1 likes this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

either pic looks to be an authentic coin, but if they are together i agree with Martin. welcome to CT ancients.:)

5. Maven

Maven New Member

Yes unfortunately, this is a single coin. A friend of mine found this in his backyard. I thought it strange to have two sides like these but I know nothing of coins from this long ago. Thanks for y'alls replies and letting me know.

ominus1 likes this.
  6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I think both images show string evidence that these are cast.... derived from authentic coins.

ominus1 likes this.
  7. Maven

Maven New Member

But still worth nothing of course...right? I can still appreciate it for its genuineness but it would be a lot cooler if it was worth some dough lol.

8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

well, it was a good find if its got you interested in ancients:)

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted