Unknown coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Hi folks!
    I got this coin a few years ago and have never been able to attribute it. I asked a history professor about it and he said it was abbasid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

And
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

stevex6, chrsmat71 and Mikey Zee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Interesting coin but totally unfamiliar to me. Obviously, the Abbasid Dynasty was the third Islamic caliphate to succeed Mohammad ....but how does that tie in to the Ethiopia tag I have no clue without trying to research the heck out of this...which I assume you already have attempted....

I'll be interested to see what the others post. It does look like an 'Abbasid' coin.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Magnus Maximus likes this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i'm of no use at all here MM, but interested as well.

5. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

These pictures and information are not sufficient for reliable attribution. The surface looks greenish, is it silver or copper ? What is the size and weight ?
    The year and probably also the mintname are likely located in the edge text on the Kalima side (that's the side in your upper picture). But you would need a sharp picture, not in the holder, to enable people to read this. The orientation of the text is most correct in your third picture, in 1 and 4 it is upside down.
    For now, from appearance, i would think this Samanid rather than Abbasid.

Magnus Maximus and Mikey Zee like this.
  6. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Sorry, M.M. I am of no help to you on this one. I know nothing of Islamic coins.

7. Magnus Maximus

Thanks for the responses folks. Also the coin is silver

8. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Samanids, Nuh ibn Nasr, 943-954, AR dirham, Samarqand, 342h. The ruler's name is the last line in the reverse field. Above it is the name of the deposed 'Abbasid caliph, al-Mustakfi Lillah, whom Nuh continued to recognize throughout his reign. The mint and date, both fully legible, are in the inner circular legend on obverse.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Take the coin out of the holder, that may improve the picture.

Pictures in the holders are virtually useless.

10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The Dynasty of the Samanids ruled in eastern Persia and Transoxiana also known as Transoxania in central Asia. It included the ancient cities of Samarkand and Bukhara, great centers of medieval Islamic culture. The rulers, including Nasir I as well as his grandsons and successors served the Abbasid caliphate in Baghdad. The Dynasty came to an end in 999 AD.

Mikey Zee and Magnus Maximus like this.
  11. Magnus Maximus

Thank you very much; I owe you a good cup of wine for helping me out!
    I picked it up for $12 back in 2013 and I think it was $12 well spent.
    Back to collecting Romans!:D

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted