Unknown coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rubelj, Jul 9, 2010.

1. rubelj

rubelj Junior Member

Oh, thank you, digitaly. Finally, the mistery is solved...

Sorry guys, I must hurry now ... to Holland to buy something :i-wave-hi:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Amazing, digitaly! Ha, when I first read that this could have been made for some flower dealer (see post #12), I would not believe it. Duh. And no, rubelj, seems you don't have to travel to NL for that - see http://www.bakker-holland.si/ :)

Christian

4. rubelj

rubelj Junior Member

Oh, Jesus. I'm already in Wienna. :bangg:
    Danko

5. Lenchy_93

Lenchy_93 New Member

Was just wondering if you have found out what the coin is.? as i have one aswell...

6. Lenchy_93

Lenchy_93 New Member

was wondering how to use the coin as a man came yp to me and gave me one of these.? is it worth anything aswell.?/ just after some details really.??

7. Lenchy_93

Lenchy_93 New Member

was wondering how to use the coin as a man came yp to me and gave me one of these.? is it worth anything aswell.?/ just after some details really.??

8. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

You are off by 20 years. The Cold War may be said to have ended with the Fall of the Berlin Wall, dated to November 9, 1989, but certainly was concluded with the dissolution of the USSR on December 31, 1991, after the failed anti-democracy coup August 19-21 of that year.

9. rubelj

rubelj Junior Member

Well, as I can see it is a "lucky coin" for anniversary by company called Bakker-Holland. But I didn't try to use it.

10. Lenchy_93

Lenchy_93 New Member

So have a lucky coin that isnt very lucky.. :) im just wondering what i can do with it, sell it spend it.? thanks..

11. BabyBex

BabyBex New Member

how could i have got one of these? i live in england..

12. Zen

Zen New Member

Good morning, I am French.
    I don't understand a lot this post.
    I have this coin, What's value there?
    thanks

(Sorry for my BAD english)

13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

14. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Giveaway tokens usually aren't shy about including the name of the issuing company, so this is odd. I predict that this token is going to really drive people crazy 20 or 50 years from now.

15. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

It was minted in 2010, has a bird and a ship. So am thinking an Naval nation ? I have this site that can be searched. Since it is found in Europe, take a map and look for nations that are on water and look at their 2010 coin issues.
    www.WCoins.com

good luck
    gary

16. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I googled "1945-2010 65,000 hummingbird ship" and I saw a page listed in the results that refers to "Coins- Philippines" with these same words in the description of the result. Perhaps it's a token or commemorative from the Philippines?

17. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Whoever the marketing director is, he/she is an idiot. Everyone knows when you market something, it is paramount to tell people what it is. That's why products have labels, DUH.

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Who knows, Bakker's marketing campaign with these tokens may have worked just fine. Guess that, when they had them made, they had their (potential) customers in mind, not token collectors ...

The piece was attached to a "jubilee lottery" folder of that company. So whoever got it (originally) knew very well where it came from. Sure, it would make sense to put the name on one side - and had they known how many questions in various forums their tokens would cause later, they might have done that. :p

Christian

19. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

As I said, any marketing director who does not add the company's name is not worthy of employment. Adding the company name or logo would have continued this advertisement even through today and who knows how much further or how much added exposure the company would have gotten for the same money spent.

At least every business I ever owned required the most "bang" for my advertising dollar. And since this was not immediately recognized throughout the world, the company was not obviously a household name. Even the giants like FORD, put a logo on everything !

gary

20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not sure whether Bakker does business in your country at all; maybe they will design tokens differently then. I have seen quite a few questions in various coin forums about "unknown tokens", even recent issues, which do not have a company name or logo. It all depends on how such tokens are/were supposed to be used.

And who knows, maybe not putting a company name on the pieces was some kind of viral marketing strategy. ;) If these "flower coins" had a company name, hardly anybody would talk about them. This way, however, the pieces come up in many forums and other web sites, and after a while somebody explains that Bakker issued them ...

Christian

21. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I understand the theory Christian, but really, how many people are interested in a token that remains unnamed ? A casual reference maybe, but as this is a lottery advertisement, surely people would be more interested in immediate involvement ? I mean doesn;t nearly everyone desire more money ? Ad to win some ? Sorry, I just feel these boys missed the mark widely.

gary

Draft saved Draft deleted