Unknown coin which I have for over 20 years

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jerryazhakathu, Nov 27, 2015.

1. jerryazhakathu

jerryazhakathu New Member

Hi Guys

Can anyone identify the origin and worth of this coin?

Thanks
    Jerry

Attached Files:

• C B.jpg
      C B.jpg
      File size:
      133.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Looks like an old India state coin. I ordered one from Littleton many years ago for a couple of bucks, but let's see if someone on here knows more.

4. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Agree, looks Indian. Left pic should be turned 90 degrees counterclockwise. Looks like something as "Falus" in persian script. So this could also be Afghan looking at the general appearance.
    The central blob on the right is a bit more difficult to interpret. Does not look like a sword (Which would point to Afghanistan). My best guess is that this is a crude depiction of running Hanuman. This would suggest this is an Indian state Paisa. Because of the crudeness this might be a so called "Kacha paisa". This are coins which were inofficially minted, but were used in local trade.
    In most cases value will not be more than a few dollars.

medoraman likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That's a good clue
    I found a similar coin under India-Mughal Empire
    (I want to share this picture with you from the Numista website)

Dam.PNG

6. THCoins

Unfortunately, "falus" on a coin from this region helps about as much as "cent" on a western coin for attribution, that is not much. This is definitely not a Mughal coin. In my opinion it is much later and more fits the type discussed in this thread:
    http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,3834.0.html

Roman Collector and paddyman98 like this.
  7. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Sultans of Delhi. About $5, tops.

8. THCoins

Nope, not Sultans of Delhi, not Mughal but much later.
    My first guess however was wrong. Sorry i may have pointed in the wrong direction, But these are not always very easy. Now looking at another monitor than earlier today i see what the depiction in the right picture is supposed to be. You have to rotate the picture about 45 degrees clockwise. Then it shows a lion facing to the right. Above the lions back is the sun with a face in it (no joke). This is partly off flan. Now, lion with sunface immediately points away from India. First option now becomes Iranian civic copper, with again Afghanistan in second place.

Edit: looking a bit further i find i may have seen this one before: The text side likely does not read "Falus", but the mint name. It think this is an Iranian Civic copper from Kashan mint, date around 1700-1750.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Ancientnoob likes this.
  9. kevin McGonigal

Yes, I can see it now. The image looks very similar to the images on the Persian silver dirhems of the Sassanids.

10. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Yes, a Persian civic copper of Kashan (east-central Iran). The denomination falus and likely a date (early 18th century?) are off flan, below the mint name. Cf. Valentine p. 132, 36f; Album 3241.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Ancientnoob likes this.
  11. kevin McGonigal

That date of the early 18th century seems late to me. As you know Islam forbade the image of a real person on its coinage and the Sassanid coinage was pre Islamic. Any chance this is a much earlier coin? Also the denomination of falus, from the Roman follis, also seems to indicate an older date of issue.

12. THCoins

No, you can find the falus denomination right up to the 20th century.
    The origin of the sunface motto i think lies somewhere around the time of the Ilkhans, but it was used for several centuries. It has nothing to do with the Sasanids. The sunface is not the portrait of a real person. In addition, the ban on depiction of people is mainly a Sunnite thing. The Shiite which dominate the Persian region are not so strict. Otherwise there would alsno not be the Iran monetary issues with Ayatollah Khomeini on them.
    Lastly, the elegant curvy Persian script on the coins is fairly late. In the beginning of Arab coinage you would mainly see coins with straight Kufic script.

Draft saved Draft deleted