Unknown coin. A lot of oxidation

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nik23, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Nik23

Nik23 New Member

Hello everybody,

I would be grateful if you can help me with find more about a coin that I have from my grandfather. There is quite a lot of oxidation. The images are terrible, I know, but those are the best I could get.

The coin is 3 grams and 17mm in diameter. I guess it is made out of bronze.
    What is particularly interesting is the back side- there are two figures, holding a ring-like shape, consisting of 4 animals, that look like snakes. The two figures are difference from each other, but both have crowns, which are not quite visible from the image.
    Actually the more detailed image of the back of the coin is due to submerging it in olive oil for more details. If you have any ideas how to remove safely part of the oxidation, please share them.

Kind regards

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

it's like this one

VLPP Ticinum 82.jpg

Constantine I
    A.D. 318-19
    IMP CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG; helmeted, laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP; two Victories stg., facing one another, (one on left with stylus) together holding shield/wreath inscribed VOT PR on altar.
    in ex. PT
    RIC VII Ticinum 82

4. Nik23

Nik23 New Member

Thank you for the information.
    I see it is close to the one I have, but what is the reason for not being 100% the same? Is it because they have been made in different places?

5. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

You will not find two identical 4th century coins, even two coins from the same mint can be very different in appearance, shape.
    This is one of the things that discouraged me when I started collecting as I found many things hard to understand.

6. Nik23

Nik23 New Member

That makes sense now. I will have this in mind for the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted