Unknown 1743 Cathedrale Spirense medallion

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ben88, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

I've been trying to find an exact match to no avail. It's a 1743 CAPITVLVM CATHEDRALE SPIRENSE medallion, and I find several very similar medallions online, but nothing with this exact obverse/reverse combination.
    Can anyone help with this ? Thank you ...

Attached Files:

wcg and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

Not sure exactly what this says but it seems to at least have the script right and it has a list of eight items, probably the eight circling the coin.
    Source.

upload_2020-2-10_15-24-2.png

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think that's it! Wappen means crest. The text is nice enough to explain each one.

@Ben88 can you post these as full size images?

@PaulTudor @talerman @Chris B hope I didn't forget anyone who enjoys these beauties.

5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Here is one CNG sold. It looks like an obverse match but the reverse is different.

https://www.cngcoins.com/Search.asp..._TYPE_ID=3&VIEW_TYPE=0&MAX_COUNT=10000&PAGE=1

GERMANY, Speyer (Bistum). Sede Vacante . 1770. AR Medal (46mm, 36.42 g, 12h). By A. Schäffer. * CAPITVLVM CATHEDRALE SPIRENSE, half-length bust of the Madonna facing slightly right, holding Holy Infant; around, border of seven coats-of-arms and cartouche with date strung together / REGNANS SEDE VACANTE, bishopric coat-of-arms; around, border of eight coats-of-arms strung together. Haas 560; Zepernick 252. EF, lightly toned and lustrous.

If you go to this link you will see several more that are close but no cigar:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...s=1&thesaurus=1&order=1&currency=usd&company=

PaulTudor and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Great piece! If I'm not mistaken, that is classified as zepernick 251: 1743 Speyer (German states) sede vacante issue. Should be a bit over 47mm in diameter. Scarce piece that is elusive in mint state. I will verify and see if I have any more details to add when I am home in the evening.

PaulTudor, Ben88 and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

Thank you -
    Yes, I saw that link earlier, as well as several others, and you are correct - close but no cigar.

8. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Yes definitely 1743 Speyer sede vacante medal. Designed by P.P.Werner (Peter Paul Warner). Features St Stephan standing on the reverse. Classified as Ehrend 7/21, Zepernick 251. The medal commemorates the sede vacante (empty seat) after the death of Hugo Damian of Schönborn, Prince-Bishop of Speyer and Bishop of Konstanz.

Scarce piece; I see 3 in the acsearch.info archives. There is one offered on eBay right now, but I don’t think the description is correct in the listing. It states that it is Zepernick 208, which echoes the Katz lot 979 description in Oct 2016 sale. The Katz auction house was wrong on the classification; Kunker had it right in this auction: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1528011

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    PaulTudor and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

10. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

Very nice... I saw that today, but unfortunately it is not an exact match for the medal I have.

11. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

Yes, here they are as full size images...

IMG_0337.jpg IMG_0338.jpg

PaulTudor, Chris B and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted