United States Type Set with Gold - Complete

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Todd Williams, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Todd Williams

Todd Williams Making Grandad proud

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Todd Williams

4. Todd Williams

5. Todd Williams

6. Todd Williams

7. Todd Williams

8. Todd Williams

9. Todd Williams

10. Todd Williams

11. Todd Williams

I hadn’t realized this till I got to the photography and pulled these Commemorative half dollars out one by one....

The commemorative coins are posted here together in order to capture something Grandpa Jim wanted to say. Drama? Apparently so.

We got this book from the bottom of a safety deposit box, two months ago, where it laid for 22 years since the year he died. So it’s him. Certainly not me.

He ordered these commemorative coins in the book as follows:
    1. 1925 Stone Mountain Confederate Half Dollar
    2. 1952 George Washington Carver Booker T Washington Half Dollar
    3. 1893 Columbus Half Dollar
    4. 1926 Oregon Trail Half Dollar w the Reverse American Indian showing as Obverse in the book
    It became obvious to me, especially out of all the 59-odd Commemorative Coins he could have chosen, that he was trying to say something:

*Confederate coin coupled with the Carver - Booker T coin honoring significant Black Americans.

*Then Columbus coin coupled with the Oregon Trail coin Reverse showing an American Indian.

He was a proud Texan. There could have been a Texas Sesquicentennial commemorative coin in his Dansco 7070.

It isn’t there.

This expression of our complicated history “struck” me today, in this day and age, 22 years after he died. And this book was put together 40 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    -jeffB likes this.
  12. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

13. Todd Williams

Thanks! Wasn’t sure.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  14. Todd Williams

15. Todd Williams

16. Todd Williams

17. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

Very cool type set. I agree with the first post on the first page that the gold page alone is worth more than the dealer's offer. He would've made out like a bandit if you sold at that.
    The thing is, you will never get top dollar selling as a set. If you take the time to part it out and sell them individually (if you really need to...personally I would save it) only then can you expect to receive top dollar. With this much material a dealer can throw out a relatively large number and they just want $$ signs in you eyes and for you to take the offer an run. To sell it all in one batch is the easy way for you to do it and you will lose money doing it easy.

Im doing a US type set that is larger than this one, but without the gold page. You really need to investigate each coin on it's own merits to realize what the set is worth. From someone who has a large US type set going, I can tell you, you might have a copper cent that was only $50 to $100 sitting next to another that ran you $500 or $700. Some stuff that looks highly valuable may not be while something else that doesn't look that great may actually be hard to come by and very valuable. I haven't looked at everything you've posted but I'll have to check it all out some time.
    I'll be honest. Not every example in your set is worth writing home about compared to what's readily available out there. That was put together long before the internet so I'm sure it was much more difficult to do.

IMO every coin deserves a hard look. If there's weird damage or scratches, it's not going to be as desirable and will affect the value. The commemoratives are not extremely high grades.

18. Vess1

It takes a lot of time to appraise a set like this so you're better off getting a Red Book and going through it yourself. Most people don't take the time to read posts in a thread, much less research and appraise somebody's entire type set.

Besides what i originally said here about selling the entire set as being easy, you also have to understand that dealers can get coins at wholesale prices. They're not paying retail like you are. So, I can tell you your commemoratives are $60 to $125 each but a dealer may be able to get them from another dealer for half that. Then if they're not very high grade or they think they might not sell well, then they're worth even less to them. A collector might give you $125 for the Oregon trail half, but a dealer may only offer $50. See what I'm getting at here? I hope this helps. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm on your side. Just being honest.

19. Todd Williams

Not a jerk at all.
    Thank you for your honesty.
    Much appreciated Vess.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  20. Vess1

The 1840 dollar is really cool. Unfortunately it has damage on the obverse so it will never straight grade but it would be nice to send it in to one of the services and get it authenticated. That's only a 61,005 original mintage. Without the damage that would be a 4 figure coin. It's still really nice shape. I'd put it in my registry for sure. If it got an AU Details grade like I think it would, it's still probably worth 4 to $500 range on ebay. Damaged coins are hard to sell but that's a rare one.

Barber halves are pretty scarce in decent condition. He probably had difficulty finding one. There's damage on it also. That hurts the value pretty badly. I bought a flashy MS-62 at a show that ran me $600 and that was a deal.

The Morgan is very nice. Maybe a MS-63 but they're very common in this shape. Many were made and saved uncirculated so they're still common.

The flying eagle cent is very nice. These are really hard to come by in that condition. I can't tell if it's cleaned or not but even if it is, knowing how hard they are to come by, I would not sell that one for less than $200. It may be worth $300 or more to the right person. Ball park.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  21. Todd Williams

Vess. Thank you.
    These are the kinds of details that I've been seeking throughout the process of posting these coins. I'm soaking up everyone's "grade" to understand what's even worth getting professionally graded and treating carefully from Grandad's collection.

As of today, I don't want the cash ($10K or so) as a trade against the heirloom this book represents. But who knows. Ultimately, I'd do whatever I needed to do for my family.

This coin collecting thing has a great deal of tension between monetary value and sentiment. That's basically the whole point from what I can see.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted