United States Type Set with Gold - Complete

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Todd Williams, Oct 27, 2020.

1. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Certainly looks like a clean uncirculated. Take a look at the 7-8 o’clock area. Planchet flaw?

If that is a clean AU58... it’s a $4000 coin. Double that for MS62.

manny9655 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That’s one reason I would like to hold it. I was sort of thinking maybe a booger on the Dansco plastic insert. But it does appear to be on the coin.

CoinCorgi and John Burgess like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

And one last request to the OP.... We tend to like to keep each other abreast of the good/questionable coin dealers. Being that we are all coin nuts we would much rather spend our hard earned cash with the reputable folks in the business. Would it disturb you to share the name of the dealer that made you this unconscionable offer on your grandads pride and joy?

5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I'm kind of dying to know what reverse is on that trade dollar to be honest. Lol. Mint mark and type. Looks like a type 1 obverse from the picture. If type 1 obverse and reverse and possibly Philadelphia also.
    All kinds of goodies in this set I think and maybe I even spoke too soon about the ike dollar being "average" hahaha

6. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Wow! Your grandfather truly had spectacular coins! If I was you, I would keep that- this is an incredible thing to have, even if they were sub-par coins.

7. Todd Williams

Todd Williams Making Grandad proud

If this is a rock star collection, then it feels really wrong to soak it up without giving him his due. If this is weird or not, I don't know, I guess I claim newbie awkwardness as my defense. As you can imagine, it's a sentimental situation.

Here's grandad. After building warships in WW2, he was a simple, frugal, West Texas shop foreman in the oil services business. They made field tanks in Odessa. Built his very modest home himself.

He was very wary of big government and our monetary system after having lived through the Depression. So coins/gold/silver was his deal. Kind of a prepper in that way. He'd make all of our Christmas presents in his woodshop. Little gadgets that spat out $20 bills when you turn the crank.

He would be absolutely proud of the kudos for his patience and hard work in this hobby. I feel like I found HIS PEOPLE here today and really appreciate the advice and encouragement. I will share his other items with ya'll as I can. After reading your appreciation for this collection, I'd have a hard time selling it unless there's something worth huge money that would change our lives (my siblings and me).

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/44687464/james-francis-williams

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  8. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Your grandfather's set is probably the most beautiful and exciting thing I've seen (all in one place) since joining CoinTalk in 2017. If you can hold on to it, please do. Cherish it and pass it along to the next generation. I know I would. Many of the coins that aren't gold could be worth quite a lot as well, simply because of their high grades, beauty, and eye appeal. The Draped Bust large cent is very nice and that Coronet Head large cent (labeled "Liberty Head" in the album) looks AMAZING!!! That Flying Eagle cent looks almost uncirculated. And on that 2-cent piece (that's the first time "In God We Trust" was put on a coin), you can still see the "WE," which is not the case in many of the specimens for sale. I could go on and on. If I were allowed to visit, I would spend HOURS just looking through this album. I hope you could hold on to it. Please post more close-up photos when you have the chance.

USS656, capthank, Mike Davis and 3 others like this.
  9. John Burgess

I honestly can't say if there's something there worth huge value, my problem is.... I can't honestly rule it out with this collection either....

He's got the right dates as far as shown, the questions become "are the mint marks right too" "are the varieties right too". And then there's condition as well to finalize where it lands.

What I mean is, the guy absolutely knew what he was doing and spent his money wisely on his selections. With the 1909S vdb I was skeptical let's say, but the moment I saw this topic and thread it began to dawn on me this is a collection well above average and not the usual.... It's still actually sinking in the possibilities that could be there depending on how he collected and his choices. He was much more than the average album hole filler or "gotta have a key date" guy for sure. It's likely he knew what he was doing before a whole lot of collectors knew what they were doing, before a lot of coins even got followings and commanded higher prices in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

And for that I thank you for sharing it with us!

10. JeffC

Would love to see this if you still have it. Reminds me of a quote from Robert Brault. Cherish the little things. Someday you'll look back and realize that they were the big things.

11. Todd Williams

Thanks Jeff.

I'm going to buy a coin photography appliance and post each coin we have from this book. Front and back. You guys have already stressed the need to get the 09 S VDB graded and I will take ya'lls advice on what coins stand out from this book to get graded as well.

Heritage is HQ'd here in Dallas so I'm going to get a serious sit down with them on everything we have and then get the important pieces graded with PCGS.

12. JeffC

The non-gold coins in the collection is probably worth a few thousand already. But money aside, this is such a great collection.

13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

+1 for use of booger in a sentence.

14. Dima

Dima Member

This may be a no brainer, but rather say it to be safe :) don't try to clean the coins under any circumstances. If you have to handle them, limit contact to the edges only.

15. Randy Abercrombie

It was a “figurative” usage....

BuffaloHunter and CoinCorgi like this.
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Funny how the world works. My grandad served in the war and ended up in the oil business in Plains Texas. I started collecting coins in Plains when mom gave me a Franklin half to buy my school lunch with. I went hungry that day and have been addicted to coins ever since.

halvessearcher and Todd Williams like this.
  17. Todd Williams

The album came with grandad's notes. I scanned them and uploaded them to the Google Drive link in the OP. Also added them here.

Most interestingly, Grandad did mark down that that 1840 seated dollar has a blemish. You were asking about that Randy.

Also, the notes show what he paid for every coin. And in some cases where he bought them. It looks like he got very serious about it in the late 70s and early 80s.

I thought ya'll would get a kick out of the man at his desk doing the hobby. Overview 1.jpg Overview 2.jpg Notes 1.jpg Notes 2.jpg Notes 3.jpg Notes 4.jpg Notes 5.jpg

capthank, JeffC, fretboard and 5 others like this.
  18. Dima

Dima Member

Looks similar to some Excel sheets I keep :D

Todd Williams likes this.
  19. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

This all just makes his collection more and more unique. There's no doubt that he enjoyed his hobby. I wish I had done a better job with my meager collection as for record keeping. I would also say that his obituary was very nice reading and I'm sure you are proud of him and will live up to his expectations. Awesome man to be involved in the Lord's work by helping to form two churches. I'm sure God said "Well done my good and faithful servant!"

20. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

@Todd Williams try as I might, I didn't see the 1909 S VDB on those lists. I did see other plain 1909 vdb's listed.

21. John Burgess

well right off the bat I notice the newest date on these sheets is 1983, and previous is 1975-1976.

What he paid for the coins was a heck of a lot lower than the prices nowadays. it predates coin grading companies, and the internet, heck, it's rotary phone era purchases. He lists the $20 1908 St. Gaudens in AU grade bought for $600 in 1980 for instance.

he values it at just over $7000, in 1983 dollars and prices........ a lot has changed in the upwards direction since then.

Draft saved Draft deleted