United States: silver Draped Bust half dollar, 1806, "Pointed 6, stem through claw" variety

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 23, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. 9

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. 8

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. 7

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. 6

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

United States: silver Draped Bust half dollar, 1806, "Pointed 6, stem through claw" variety
    1806-50c-frame.png
    Obverse: draped bust of Liberty, right.
    Reverse: heraldic eagle, 13 stars with clouds above.
    Issuer: United States of America, Philadelphia Mint.
    Specifications: .892 fine silver, 0.3866 oz. ASW, 32.5 mm, 13.5 g. Philadelphia Mint. Pointed 6, Stem variety. Edge lettering: FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR. Mintage: 839,576 (all varieties).
    Grade: PCGS F12; cert. #32749215.
    Reference: PCGS-6071, Numista 30053, Overton-116.
    Provenance: ex-Liberty Coin Service, Lansing, Michigan, USA, 19 May 2020.
    Notes: Note the prominent die crack running left from the date into the stars on the obverse. The attractive, long-haired Draped Bust Liberty design was created by Robert Scot, the first Chief Engraver of the US Mint. Earlier (1796-1797) coins of this type had a small eagle on the reverse, and with a total mintage of only 3,918 pieces for that entire type, those are prohibitively rare and expensive. This later Heraldic Eagle reverse type featured a larger eagle with the shield, olive branch, and arrows seen on the Great Seal of the United States.
    Comments: After I sold my previous example in 2019, I found myself wanting another Draped Bust half with this sort of attractive grey original toning. I like this one as much as the last one, and got it for less. Years ago I invented a shorthand term for this look which has gained some traction in the numismatic community. I refer to coins with this sort of appearance as Circulation Cameos, or "CircCams" for short.

1806-50c-frame.png

1806-50c-black.png

1806-50c-gradient.png

1806-50c-white.png

1806-50c-obv.jpg

1806-50c-rev.jpg

1806-50c-slab.jpg

042100S

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    DBDc80, Morgandude11, KSorbo and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Kind of an awkwardly worded question. What number on the scale translates to: awesome?

Morgandude11 and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I enjoyed your thread on "circ-cams" a while ago and this coin is another wonderful example

kazuma78 and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Classic coin with a nice CircCam that warrants a 7 on my scale

6. CoinDoctorYT

CoinDoctorYT Well-Known Member

I like the pointed 6 rather than the knob 6 on this type. Just personal preference.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I don't think you could find a nicer example for the grade!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I own an example of this same variety, same holder and same grade, but yours is much cleaner and should be CAC IMO.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

The 1807 I sold last year had the CAC green bean. I don't know that this 1806 has ever been to CAC. At any rate, I consider it just as attractive as the other. And the coin in the OP has slightly better CircCam contrast than the previous one, below:

rdBqmQI1Sf6xB12PaL3l_1807_liberty.jpg XCW59Ny0TqKdVtvB4SMa_1807DB50c-obv.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    KSorbo and Morgandude11 like this.
  10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I think it is a totally awesome coin. Numbers do not capture its beautiful eye appeal, nor its exclusivity. It is not the kid of coin one sees every day, and is a fabulous example of that type. Solid 10!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I agree that your current example has better eye appeal with better contrast.

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Love the originality of the coin voted 9 I’m tough. A 10 needs monster eye appeal or rarity

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

I went 9 myself. Nice to see that it has gotten four "10" votes as of this post, however.

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's a great looking bust half, congrats.

Draft saved Draft deleted