United States: silver Capped Bust quarter, 1831

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 26, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. 7

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. 6

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  6. 5

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. 4

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

United States: silver Capped Bust quarter, 1831
    [​IMG]
    Obverse: bust of Liberty left, wearing a Phrygian cap.
    Reverse: bald eagle, wings spread, clutching an olive branch and bundle of 13 arrows in its talons, as on the Great Seal of the United States.
    Issuer: United States of America.
    Specifications: .892 fine silver, 6.74 g, 24.3 mm. Reeded edge. Small Letters variety. Mintage: 398,000.
    Grade: PCGS VF25; cert #84066638.
    Reference: PCGS-5348, Numista-30781, Browning-2 (R2).
    Provenance: ex-Liberty Coin Service, Lansing, Michigan, USA, 19 May 2020.
    Notes: In 1831, the Capped Bust quarter underwent a revision of John Reich's original 1815 design. The diameter was reduced slightly and Lady Liberty was given a more slender profile in the redesign by William Kneass. The E PLURIBUS UNUM motto was removed from the reverse.
    Comments: This is a wholesome circulated example with medium-grey original toning.
    Additional images

017700S

tibor and Penny Luster like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

4. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I gave it a 6, primarily because of the rim bumps/dings on the reverse. Not a problem for me in the grading of the coin but this is a subjective ask of how much we like the coin. And while I like it, it got knocked down from 8 to a 6 because of the rim dings and also because it doesn't have quite as much CircCam contrast as I prefer.

johnmilton and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

At first I thought you were reacting to the presence of the slab insert grippers ("prongs") in the photos, but upon closer examination I see the little rim chatter you're referring to. Now that it has been brought to my attention, I must say that those sort of subtle marks are definitely not enough to distract me, in this particular case. I didn't even notice they were there until you pointed them out! As to the CircCam contrast, well, sure, that would be nice if it were stronger, but I do think this is a nice subtle CircCam.

I voted "8" in the poll.

Draft saved Draft deleted