United States: silver Capped Bust half dollar, 1818

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 25, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. 9

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. 8

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  4. 7

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

United States: silver Capped Bust half dollar, 1818
    1818-50c-frame.png
    Obverse: bust of Liberty left, wearing a Phrygian cap.
    Reverse: bald eagle, wings spread, clutching an olive branch and bundle of arrows in its talons, as on the Great Seal of the United States.
    Issuer: United States of America, Philadelphia Mint.
    Specifications: .892 fine silver, 0.3866 oz. ASW, 32.5 mm, 13.5 g. Edge lettering: FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR. Mintage: 1,960,322 (all varieties).
    Grade: PCGS VF30; cert. #36319239.
    Reference: PCGS-6113, Numista-10637, Overton-113.
    Provenance: ex-Lane J. Brunner ("astrorat" on Collectors Universe), 20 May 2020.
    Notes: the Capped Bust design type had its debut on half dollars in 1807 and continued, with some modification, until 1839, when it was replaced by the Seated Liberty type.
    Comments: I wanted an earlier (1810s) Bust half with original toning, and found this dove-grey example to be quite handsome. It has light "Circulated Cameo" contrast, which is a look I've always liked on circulated silver.

1818-50c-frame.png

1818-50c-black.png

1818-50c-gradient.png

1818-50c-white.png

1818-50c-obv.jpg

1818-50c-rev.jpg

1818-50c-slab.jpg

022000S

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

very nice pick up

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice coin. It has that not messed with look.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

My sort of coin.
    And I'm referring to its appearance.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Very nice looking

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

I put this one on par with the Draped Bust at a 7. Nice coin!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. brokrken

brokrken Active Member

Very Nice coin. I love these CBHs

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Absolutely awesome example of a great coin series. Nice, problem free, with original toning, and not dipped to extinction, or cleaned to the point of abrasive hell. I gave it a 10.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Gave it a 9. Like the CircCam look and this coin has very few distractions for the grade and what it is.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I voted 10, but then I love all coins, domestic and foreign, so I guess you can take my vote with a grain of salt. LOL
    I think the art work on this series is one of the better designs on US coins and love the aged look that brings out the details.

Morgandude11 and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

I voted a 9 in the poll. Ask me again next week and it could be a 10. My opinions of my own coins often fluctuate between 8, 9, and 10 in these very unscientific polls. If I ever vote a 6 or 7 on one, you can be sure that one is on its way out the door before too long. 5 or less, and I wouldn't have put it in my collection to begin with.

But silly though they may be, these polls do provide me with some interesting if not 100% statistically sound information. Like any collector, I like to know what other people think about my collection- even if the audience is just the "Man on the Street" who might not collect what I do- or might not even be a coin collector at all. That's the reasoning behind that "whether you're an expert or not" clause in the poll question.

It gives me some general idea on what my more (and less-) popular coins are. Comments are the best, but silent lurker types who don't post will often vote anonymously in the polls.

(Thanks for looking and voting, Silent Lurker Types.) ;)

Morgandude11 likes this.
  13. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Very "honest" looking coin...great pick up! (9) :happy::singing:;)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I voted 6 - which I believe equals a 9 on “your scale” if you know what I mean :)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Not sure. You mean it would be a 9 if "adjusted for inflation", i.e., ownership bias? ;)

16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I gave it a 7. I usually buy higher grades, but this piece has a nice, wholesome look to it that I like in circulated coins. It’s also dated in the ‘teens instead of the ‘30s which makes it more interesting to me.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

That was my exact buying rationale. I usually can't afford higher grades, though I could have gotten a somewhat higher graded one in the 1830s this time around. I didn't want to, though, preferring instead to get a nice original grey VF from the 'teens instead. I find it more interesting/appealing than even an XF45-AU50 1830s coin would be.

To date, the highest grade Bust half I have owned was this PCGS AU55 CAC. It was just a tad "too white" for me (though not as washed out as the overexposed images indicate). I tend to like a bit more toning on my Bust halves, whether it be pastel colors on the XF-AU pieces or contrasting greys on the VF and lower ones.

Of course I'd have been fine with this one's whiteness, had it had stronger luster. The luster was there in this case, but rather subtle. I ended up swapping the coin.

sYHgFCYTayUdYhfLXzOY_h02zawypw6o4.png

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted