United States Mint Limited Edition 2018 Silver Proof Set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, Oct 18, 2018.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The two per household limit comes off tomorrow (Friday, 10/19) at twelve noon. Anyone jumping in for 'seconds'? I didn't jump in for 'firsts'........ devil.gif

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

Holy Toledo, I just looked at what the mint wants for one of these sets! Scandalous...

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

$145 a set? Did silver skyrocket last night while I wasn’t paying attention or anything?

green18 likes this.
  5. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Geez, that's a lot! Silver actually went down 21% from yesterday, so they must be making a hefty profit!!!

6. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

I will pass.

mlov43 likes this.
  7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

It did???
    [​IMG]

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I took a look at it this morning. I’m going to pass. Nothing particularly appealing in it for me. And $145? Where did that come from?

9. green18

The blasted thing is redundant.......I've already have gotten everything that is in it.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’m already trying to guess what HSN’s bend-over-the-table price will be.

11. green18

The uninitiated are truly at risk........

12. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Ordered 2 sets. Only 50,000 to be minted.

13. green18

Only 50,000 sets but how many total mintage of the product within? These coins will never be rare.

14. SchwaVB57

I know in my lifetime, but I buy for the Grand-Daughters. I do not collect coins as investments, but because I like the coin.

Robert91791 and Santinidollar like this.
  15. green18

God grant that they appreciate your efforts........

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

A 21% drop in silver is $3 an ounce. Is it $11.50?

17. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I don't get it.

2018 Silver Proof Set $49.95
    2018 American Eagle $55.95

Buy them both for ... $105.90

You get everything in the Limited Edition plus a dollar, nickel, and cent coin. What am I missing? Is there something unique about the "collector's version" of the ASE?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    NSP likes this.
  18. SchwaVB57

One is 8 and one is 2 months old. The 8 year old likes to look at mint marks on cents using my scope. She knows the mints and can tell me if a coin has wear or is about uncirculated.

Robert91791 likes this.
  19. SchwaVB57

The TV coin shows have pushed the Silver Eagles as rare, because they are offered in different sets. Even though it is the same coin in three different sets. Non- informed collectors are buying their rubbish spewed from their lips as gospel. So the mint sees they can upcharge the sets in OGP and make a few extra bucks as well. As I stated above, I buy them because I like them and I can. You can't take money in the bank with you when you go, so why not buy what you like.

20. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Don't get me wrong, I'm not critical of anyone who wants one. I buy a lot of modern mint offerings myself. I'm just trying to understand the premium.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

These "Limited Edition Proof Sets" have always been priced like that, every year they have issued them. Significantly higher than the component parts than make them up and which have allready been sold. They are always redundant, and always overpriced. the Mint jacks up the price because they are "Limited". The sad thing is people by the sets get the coins, especially the ASE slabbed as being form the "Limited Edition" set and then they bring a premium because they have that on the label. The ASE is no different from any other proof ASE of the year, but it brings a premium because of the label on the holder.

Draft saved Draft deleted