United States: copper-nickel 3-cent piece, Liberty Head type, 1866

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 11, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 9

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. 8

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 7

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. 5

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

United States: copper-nickel 3-cent piece, Liberty Head type, 1866
    01-1866-3cN-frame.png
    Obverse: bust of Liberty in coronet, left.
    Reverse: Roman numeral III within laurel wreath.
    Issuer: United States of America, Philadelphia Mint.
    Specifications: copper-nickel, 17.9 mm, 1.94 g. Mintage: 4,801,000.
    Grade: PCGS MS62+; cert. #37681959.
    Reference: PCGS-3732, Numista-5336, Krause-Mishler-95.
    Provenance: ex-Dr. Robert Owens ("Bob13" on Collectors Universe), 11 April 2019.
    Notes: James B. Longacre's Liberty Head three-cent pieces ("three-cent nickels") made their debut in mid-1865, following the end of the Civil War. There had already been silver three-cent pieces ("trimes") in circulation since 1851, so for a time, the United states had two different types of three-cent coins in production at the same time, which might seem rather odd and redundant to us today.
    Comments: This 1866 three-cent nickel is a common date in a relatively common series, and thus not an extremely valuable coin in MS62 ("plus" grade notwithstanding). However, thanks to near-perfect pastel "target" toning, this particular example has eye appeal far exceeding its modest technical grade. These are a rather underappreciated series which are not widely collected, but purely from an artistic standpoint, I think their simple, classical design is superior to that of their tinier trime counterparts.

01-1866-3cN-frame.png

02-1866-3cN-TrueView.jpg

03-1866-3cN-black.png

04-1866-3cN-gradient.png

05-1866-3cN--white.png

06-1866-3cN-shadowbox.jpg

07-1866-3cN-alt.png

08-1866-3cN-slab.jpg

017595S

wxcoin, tibor, buckeye73 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This coin was previously housed in an NGC MS62 holder. It gained the plus-grade upon resubmission to PCGS.

059p2mld3iup.png

4. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Definitely one of my favorite US coin series, and that is a beautiful example. If it wasn't for the 1884 and 1885 I would definitely work on a circulation strike set.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I gave it an 8. The Nickel Three Cent Piece is one of my least favorite series, but this coin is attractive with its unusual colorful toning. You probably could never show me one of these coins that would get a 10 from me. So 8 is actually a rave for me.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

Not a coin I'm interested in collecting, so only gave it a 3. This is a good looking coin though. No problems with that.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Pretty coin. I gave it a 9. Looks like it has a bit of clash marks showing.
    I love the color these things can have.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Very appealing coin of the type and I like the type a lot so it has everything going for it to my little eye.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. shagbark acres

shagbark acres Supporter! Supporter

Nice coin. I give it an 8.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin. I gave it an 8. If I had interest in this series I may have voted 9 or even 10. If I had some spare cash burning a hole in my pocket at a convention I might buy it just because.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

In my opinion nothing is perfect but this coin is a high 91/2. Nice post thank you. Be safe

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I gave it a 10 as any coin in this condition is a keeper for me. I think that even having it re-slabbed they got it wrong. Why not give it a 62 ¾? LOL To me, it looks nicer than that, but I'm just a novice grader in progress. LOL

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

9. I like all the weird denomination series'. And this coin is killer.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. coolhandred24

coolhandred24 Member

I like the coin and the series, but this coin lacks pizzazz. 1866 is a common date and there are plenty of Mint State coins available.

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I gave it a 10. You just don't see them that nice very often.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

I'M looking at a 1886 NGC PF-67 FOR $896 AND A 1886 PCGS PR-67 CAM FOR $1395. I will purchase the pcgs coin! An aside: Still having to use an incognito window to access cointalk!

Mainebill and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. Paddy54

1875 III MPD 301.jpg 1871 III TDR.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    wxcoin and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. Paddy54

True the 1866 was a large mintage, and this coin has all the pizzazz one could ask for, first its under graded ,as to my eye the tpg judged this more so on strike..... than anything else, next the rpd and again yes there were lots of rpds in the 1866 CN , however this one is a rarer one. So yeah undergraded by at least 1 pt. A rarer variety, on a 150+ year old coin in uncirculated condition.....plus the variety premium makes this 3CN a $1000.00+ coin.

And yes this series is just about impossible to build a date set in MS.
    However what this series does offer is the history behinde it. The series has lots of varieties....as well unbelievable clashes, and die cracks!
    And lastly as a few have posted the color of these go from battle ship grey to unbelievable copper toned colors.
    Its a shame that most never explore this series. Another thing ive notice is most dealers will just about give them away....lack of interest by most collectors .
    I have several toned very simular to the op's coin..... and would pull the trigger on any like it ,if one was available at a good price.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. Paddy54

21. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Since the 3CN is my favorite series I gave it a 10; no respect, no respect at all. One of these days I hope to put together a complete series, both proof and MS. But then again, I hope to live to 100.

Magnus87 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted