United States Commemorative Gallery Sealed Coin Bag

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by DaniM1994, Nov 4, 2017.

1. DaniM1994

DaniM1994 New Member

We are cleaning out my grandparents house and found a bag of coins that is sealed with a red tag that has a seal number. On the bag it says "UNITED STATES COMMEMORATIVE GALLERY Since 1976". There is also a white tag on the draw string. I tried to upload a picture but it would not allow me to do so. Does anyone know what this is? We also have a Gallery Vault Release Form 8-2A we are not sure if this form is for the bag of coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sadly sounds like one of the many scams perpetrated during the bicentennial frenzy. Keep trying with the pics, I'm sure someone will have some info.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. DaniM1994

DaniM1994 New Member

Here is the photo, my grandfather was famous for calling into info commercials and ordering random things. If it is a scam, we will use it as a family joke. Thank you!

Attached Files:

5. Kentucky

6. Kentucky

No telling what is in there, probably some good stuff, but probably woefully overpriced at the time. However a wonderful remembrance.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Photograph the coins that are inside.

8. DaniM1994

DaniM1994 New Member

The family does not want to break the seal on the bag.

Youngcoin likes this.
  9. Kentucky

I can understand that.

Youngcoin likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I googled "United Sates Commemorative Gallery Coin Bag". Several images of bags like what you have along with the contents come up.
    You probably have some overpriced not really collectable "collectable" coins in there.
    Most likely was bought off of one of those coin infomercials.
    Wouldn't hurt to open it and see what is in there. I doubt there is anything of subsantial value.

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I agree that you should open it. There is no way of telling what is inside or what the value might be. These companies sold all sorts of different "collectible" coins. The bag has no real value sealed.

12. Michael K

There was a miser, who buried his gold in the backyard.
    He would go out every night to make sure it was still there, dig it up and bury it again. One night a thief was watching, and after the miser went inside, made off with the gold. The next day he lamented the loss of his gold. A friend asked him if he was ever going to spend it. "Oh no, never." Then just put a rock in the hole and pretend it is the gold.

What you have is a bag of rocks if you never open it.

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. Kentucky

It is doubtful that there is anything in there that would be worth more than the memorabilia value of the bag for you. Keep it and treasure it.

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I hate to disagree, Tommy, but there is a way of telling, with very, very reasonable certainty, the value of what's inside, and that's simply acknowledging the source.

I have to agree with Kentucky on this one; if the family wishes to leave it as-is, I see nothing to be gained from pressing them to do otherwise.

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

It's just my "Curious George" in me. Of course, if that's what the family wishes, then that should be the way it is.

Youngcoin and Kentucky like this.
  16. Michael K

Of course, there are sentimental factors to consider.
    However, in this case the contents are not going to be worth less if the bag is opened.
    There are people who have collections of unopened packs of baseball cards.
    And they will never open them.
    I don't care what they are worth, the fun is seeing what is inside.

17. Kentucky

...However, in this case the contents are not going to be worth less if the bag is opened. But they won't be worth more either

I don't care what they are worth, the fun is seeing what is inside. And for some the joy is in the legacy

tommyc03 likes this.
  18. BooksB4Coins

I can't blame you in the least. Unfortunately, some others appear to feel differently... ;)

tommyc03 likes this.
  19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The original question was if anyone knew what it was. The question of value was not asked. If the value was wanted, but they weren't willing to open it, then it would have been a dumb question. But the way it was asked is perfectly legitimate and to be respected.

20. BooksB4Coins

Just because a question was not asked directly, this in no way means it wasn't alluded to, or exactly what one wants to know. Think about it: if the bag contained (as extreme examples) a couple of generic double eagles or a handful of reprocessed steel cents, do you really think a non-collector would care only about the actual material and nothing about its value?

That said, the below quote is both very telling, and goes straight to the question of value...

Still, and more importantly, the below is all that really matters, isn't it?

This, sir, is what is "to be respected"; there's no ifs, ands, buts, or "dumb" about it.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I have learned to never ASSUME anything. Alluding is Assuming's first cousin. "Guess what I have behind my back", and "How much is what I am holding behind my back" are not relative to one another. One cannot be answered if they are both hidden.

Draft saved Draft deleted