United States: bronze proof Indian Head cent, 1881

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 8, 2021.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. 9

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. 8

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. 7

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  5. 6

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. 5

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. onecenter

onecenter Member

Mighty purdy coin.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Re-holdering will not change the grade, only get rid of the bad scratches on such a nice piece.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Will add my 2 (more) cents to this: Not RB according to everything I've seen/read about the designation. Yes, there is some red...but there's much more brown, and in indirect, non-reflective light it's brown. Light can be made to accentuate/extract color to an artificial degree, as evidenced by cents I've bought/received (my mistakes, early on) expecting to see the "red" cent in the photos (not the description...they all say "you be the judge"..."judge for yourself," etc.) only to be disappointed on arrival.

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

With copper there is a 10 year period. If the period expires, then there is no reholdering without a regrade. See below when looking up the cert number of this coin at NGC.

"Copper Coins Notice: Coins made of copper, bronze, brass or are copper-plated can change over time. Accordingly, with regard to copper, bronze, brass or copper-plated coins graded by NGC, the grade portion will no longer apply after the 10 year anniversary of their date of encapsulation by NGC. This coin was encapsulated on 12/28/2004 and the grade guarantee will expire on 12/28/2014. If the grade guarantee has not expired, it may be extended by submitting the coin under NGC's ReHolder service tier. If the grade guarantee has expired, the coin will be treated as a raw (ungraded) submission if resubmitted to NGC."

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/1663649-015/65/

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Scratches can be buffed out with automotive rubbing and polishing compound, and car wax.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. chascat

Cheaper and less time to re-holder, and a much better holder.

lordmarcovan and Morgandude11 like this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

See my post above. It is cheaper to reholder but in this case the coin will be considered raw and there is no guarantee it will remain the same grade.

chascat and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I gave it a 9. Pretty coin.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. coolhandred24

coolhandred24 Member

I collect IHC of this era. It is indeed an attractive coin, however it is not RB, rather in my estimation it is BROWN. I own many similar Proof Indian cents and have paid in the $285-$425 range for them depending on their individual toning. Everyone of them is different, and I prefer the "Blueberries", which are the ones that have turned a bluish purple. Those I pay a premium for. I also would pay a premium for ones that show a golden "highlight" around the portrait, headdress and devices. To be considered "RB" in my mind there actually has to be 20% or more "red" still evident.

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice coin and at the right price I would add it to my collection. But I gave this coin an "8" as there are other examples that have more exquisite toning. And I don't have any interest in Proof Indians of this era that are fully RED, and trade at substantial premiums to this coin. Eventually all of those "RED" IHC will tone to RB and eventually Brown. Go ahead and look at Draped Bust Half and Large cents and you will see what an additional 50 years will do.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll bet this is correct. It was more red when slabbed.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey lordmarcovan you got yourself 1 outstandiong coin. the picture with the black background shows your coin the best IMO, great job getting this coin. good luck to ya sir

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. chascat

Since the grade expired 7 years ago, then it doesn't really matter anyway. I would re grade the coin just to have the newer clean holder without the bad scratches.

ddddd and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I gave it a 10. Beautiful looking!

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted