Unique variety or accident

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Reyneer, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

hope she was wearing gloves. does not surprise me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

not sure i know what it means just yet as i am new to this error and variety and cherry picking. i have collected my whole life. just recently i have gotten hooked on it. seems safer at the moment. i have quite a what it seems like. i do have a question as coins got struck and the doubling became more and more could they be worth more money? for example if a coin has a marker to the others but it also has more markers not on the photos would it be worth more? also what if there was more stages on differant coins? could it be checked for sequence of strike? how long would it take for the machinery to fall apart and break? showing that coin assuming it didnt stop after striking that coin how long before it breaks if kept going would there be something to determine what the last coin would be struck during this?

4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Reyneer ...Variety Vista lists it differently than John Wexler or Fivas and Stanton...that’s why the cross-references are listed, so that: When you’re talking about a “FS-1801”, they mean the same thing as FS-01-1982-801,
    or Variety Vista’s 1-R-IV, or Wexler’s WDDR-002.

You asked many questions, they can’t all be answered at once, but I will try to do so, one at a time, when I formulate a proper response...have patience, and “all will be revealed”... will post answers later...after the ball game.

In the meantime, go to John Wexler’s website :

doubleddie.com... and read everything, especially how dies are made...Spark

mike estes and Heavymetal like this.
  5. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Gloves for women were an accessory piece to their ensemble back then. Yes she was wearing gloves that day, as shown in the pic shortly before the shooting.
    upload_2021-3-19_21-4-28.png

6. Spark1951

@Reyneer ...regarding “doubling became more and more” and “more markers not on the photos”...

When the die is created, and doubling occurs, it is usually at its strongest when first used. As it is used, the coins exhibit the doubling less and less as the die ages (stages) and sometimes the doubling is no longer evident at the end of the die’s useful life.

When you see the markers with the photos of a variety, it is the more identifiable markers. There could be several more markers but not strong enough for inclusion with the rest.

You keep saying: “...worth more money...”. Generally, any coin is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it. By this, I mean a 1982 small date zinc ddr-002 may be worth $25 in MS60 to most folks, but that “one guy” out there in la-la land might offer $40-50 because he “just has to have it “ for his collection. What you need to come to grips with is collecting coins, especially those from circulation, is never a good investment with profit in mind. More than likely you will lose money over time due to inflation or lack of demand. Most folks here collect coins because they love them. They, and I include myself, don’t expect to “strike it rich from pocket change”. But they are proud of their collections...

I’ll post another answer to one of your questions, later...Spark

7. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

what causes die cracks? in reference to photos i seen it has it plus some. to me its something that turns these coins from pocket change to true pieces of Americana art.

8. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

ya i know bless her heart. i looked at the video cause i have to and what i know now and what i see i dont like he is right there right there. wish i had more video of before i am sure i can spot em.

9. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey Reyneer welcome to CT. i agree with everyone who answered your questions. glad to hear you have jumped in the collecting coins game running. good luck to ya man

10. Spark1951

@Reyneer ...Regarding die stages and tracking a sequence “to the last coin struck”...to my knowledge, it is improbable to do so from the result of the coin that was struck last, that is, from the coin’s strike appearance.
    To be 100% sure you had the last coin you would have to be standing by the stamping press exit chute, ready to catch the last coin before it went into the bin. The press operator would turn the machine off and you would have to catch the last coin struck as it fell off the exit chute before it fell into the bin with the press operator as your sworn witness. This is also highly improbable and impractical...jmho...Spark

William F likes this.
  11. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

WIN_20210404_04_08_33_Pro.jpg WIN_20210404_04_11_26_Pro.jpg WIN_20210404_04_11_26_Pro.jpg WIN_20210404_04_08_33_Pro.jpg WIN_20210404_04_11_26_Pro.jpg WIN_20210404_04_11_26_Pro.jpg

do i need to grade these

Attached Files:

12. Spark1951

Not by a TPG. You can usually self-grade coins you find, but the cost for submitting to a TPG is not commensurate for the coins for which you have posted pictures : common coins with wear.
    ...jmho...Spark

13. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

The doubling dont make it valuble enough?

14. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

No and I don't think thats true doubling its most likely NAV no added value such as Machine doubling,Die deterioration doubling e.t.c.It appears to has a nice linear plating blister but it could just be a scratch,full pictures of the coin would help a lot.

15. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

to me its real similar to the die crack shown in the photo. doubling needs to have rounded ends also seperate serifs

16. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

WIN_20210404_17_44_39_Pro.jpg which one is this sm or lg?

17. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

18. Spark1951

You haven’t confirmed at Wexler or Variety Vista yet...or, you haven’t posted anything that members can see...imo...Spark

19. Spark1951

Go look it up, it’s at the lincolncentresource.com website. We aren’t doing everything for you...you have to step up and do your own due diligence...jmho...Spark

20. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

WIN_20210405_12_19_25_Pro.jpg WIN_20210405_12_15_34_Pro.jpg i know im sorry after going through like 300 they all started looking funny.i am sorry for that. i came back after a break and seen my own picture smh. there is a die crack that goes through the top to the roof but it does not stop there. i have a few that do and then some take it a bit further. i have a matching one on the top of the memorial seems similar. what do i need to match up never used it before

21. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

i guess at this point none cause they are large with zinc

Draft saved Draft deleted