Unique variety or accident

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Reyneer, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

Is there a 1982 no mint mark memorial cent variety of doubling on obvsrse and reverse? What about a blemish on a proof coin that what looks like a hole on a kenedy half dollar? Would that be considered a error?

One Mans Trash likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You should post pictures. Otherwise you won't get the best answers.
    That being said, neither coin you described sound like varieties or errors.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Can't tell without photos

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes.. No Mint mark means it was minted at the Philadelphia Mint and all 1982 Cents have the Lincoln Memorial building on the Reverse.

For the rest of your questions you need to show pictures as stated by the other members.

7. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

WIN_20210316_14_54_08_Pro.jpg WIN_20210316_14_53_41_Pro.jpg WIN_20210316_00_08_39_Pro.jpg WIN_20210316_00_04_06_Pro.jpg 1982 no mint = philidelphia sanfrancisco and west point for that year. i personally rule out philly.

8. Collecting Nut

9. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

how do you know?

10. Collecting Nut

There's no mintmark.

Spark1951 and Evan Saltis like this.
  11. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

capthank likes this.
  12. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

what about the kenedy half dollar struck at san franscisco 79 what could cause that to his neck area

13. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

are these coins worth anything

14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

"The first zinc-based Lincoln cents were struck at the West Point Mint on January 7, 1982. These coins, along with 1,587,245 business-strike zinc cents made at the San Francisco Mint that year, do not contain mintmarks; the Philadelphia Mint would take up production of the new zinc cents early in the year as well."

above quote is from the article you posted.
    There is absolutely no possible way to differentiate a West Point or San Francisco 1982 cent strike from the Philly cent strikes, there is no difference or identifier on any of them. in fact from time to time west point or San Fran strikes coins for Philly. for all practical reasons, intents and purposes, they are all struck at Philly because it doesn't carry a mint mark, and you will never prove which mint struck it conclusively.

As far as 1982 DDOs
    http://www.varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/1982PDDO001.htm

As far as 1982 DDRs
    http://www.varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/DDR 1982.htm

if it doesn't exact match, it isn't one.

As far as the kennedy half dollar, it's either grease, dirt or a carbon spot. it's an impaired finish, even if its still in the original packaging. This is why not every proof coin gets PR70 or even PR69 when they get graded, some are just messed up straight out of the gate and should have been returned to the mint from the customer that first bought it.

I'd say make the comparisons on the cent and get back to us, but if it doesn't MATCH the pictures on variety vista, it isn't a DDO or DDR and it's worth 1 cent.

As far as the Kennedy half, it's not going to be desirable to a collector with that spot on it. I'm sure someone will pay a dollar or two for the proof coin even with the blemish.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  15. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

Thank you so much i appreciate you so much. I will be updatinv in the future should i send them in to get graded? As for the 1979 half glad cause i felt unconfortable when seeing that made me look it up to checknwherebhe was shot and where the blemish is is where he was shot from the article sad

16. Thomas Fellers

Thomas Fellers New Member

I believe he was shot in the forehead not the neck.

17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

18. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

Thats what i thought to however first thing i did was look it up. Cause i was not certain. Did a search and read.
    Kennedy died "as a result of two gunshot wounds (1) near the center of the body and just above the right shoulder, and (2) 1 inch to the right center of the back of the head."

19. Reyneer

Reyneer Member

Right above his right shoulder would be neck exit just below jawline. His left is exposed in coin idk if he was liked verry much i dont like how they did him in the coin its differant no offense or anything its just differant

20. Thomas Fellers

Thomas Fellers New Member

that doesnt match the footage they had where his wife climbed to the back of the trunk to grab his brain.

21. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Wexler lists this as WDDR-002,
    the cross ref. is FS-01-1982-801 (CPG)...Spark

Draft saved Draft deleted