Unique Quarter - Double strike?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CEllis, Jul 24, 2019.

1. CEllis

CEllis New Member

I came across a coin unlike I've ever seen. I'm not sure if it is a double strike or some type of error and the pictures don't capture how interesting this is, so I will try to describe it. I'm hoping someone can help point me to see if this is worth getting checked out.

On the Heads Side: Two imprints that are almost an exact mirror image and the two faces in opposite directions is very clear. What makes it even more strange is that one image is convex and one image is concave (recessed into the coin). I can read two sets of the "In God We Trust" with the one a mirror image. It makes me think it struck the second time with another coin still in the die?

On the Tails Side: This is where I am confused because there are several images that I can make out and the large eagle is prevalent, but there are other impressions. I can clearly identify a "New Hampshire"... But wait, why would I see the traditional eagle and New Hampshire which was with the state edition quarter??? There is also a "1788", but I think that is part of the New Hampshire state quarter image. The whole quarter has been struck so many times that there is a rim out on both sides and the quarter is slightly larger than a regular quarter (~5%) so I'm wondering how it made it to circulation. IMG_2900.jpg IMG_2901.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

2 other Quarters were pressed hard against it.. damaged
    Not a Mint Error

Seattlite86 and Inspector43 like this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Just from your description, without looking at the photos, I said to myself, "Vice job." It was squeezed between two other quarters. Check the diameter and edge of the coin. Welcome to CT BTW.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All of those letters that are backwards means another quarter was placed against it and it was squeezed in a vice. It's damaged. Not a Mint error.

Welcome to CT.

7. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

aka 'Sandwich' coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted