Unique Probus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Jacquier was selling the unsold lots from the Gysen collection sale. I found this one in need of a good home. While it true that the coin has issues, it is also true that it appears in no references and that it is the only known example.

I will be happy to add this coin to my collection.

For those who won lots in auction 45 I received my invoice today.

Please post your unique coins or your coins of Probus.

PROBUS, 276-282. Mint Cyzicus.
    A 2nd example, however CLEMENTIA TEMP / Q / XXI.
    3.82 g.
    The only known example
    Acquired in December 2016.
    From the Phillipe Gysen Collection
    Ex: Paul Francis Jacquier Auction 45 Lot 1721 September 14, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 1.19.30 PM.png

Okidoki, PlanoSteve, Jay GT4 and 23 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Congratulations on your rare Probus. Quite a find.

My only Probus:

3ckHaAp2L45noEM7B8aF9xTq85qWtE.jpg

Broucheion, Okidoki, Chris B and 15 others like this.
  4. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Here is the slightly more common P//XXI (about 5 examples known)

[​IMG]

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

nice..i'm still trying to get one and bidding on some as i type ^^

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am not saying that this or any other rare coin should not sell for good money but I will never understand the desire of so many people to own a unique or rare coin unless they already specialize in coins of that particular genre. In the case of Probus, I have no reason to want a unique coin unless it is particularly interesting for some reason other than being so rare. I currently have 68 antoniniani of Probus including zero great rarities. My knowledge level does not allow me to look at the OP coin or the one posted by Maridvnvm and say 'rare' or even have a clue why I might want one like them. I know Maridvnvm collects Probus and specializes in those from Lugdunum. I would be interested in hearing how many people there are in the world who would look at the OP coin and recognize what makes it special without looking it up in catalogs that give census numbers. More, I wonder how many people could look at Maridvnvm or my collections of Eastern Severans and identify the rarities one or both of us have. I suggest people like myself look for decent examples of interesting types and leave the rarities for those who can appreciate them.
    A common coin:
    rs2610bb1466.jpg

Svarog, Okidoki, PlanoSteve and 16 others like this.
  7. Orfew

Well Doug, it is a good thing that you do not have to understand it. After all I did not buy the coin for you, I bought it for myself. I do not understand why you collect what you do, and I am definitely not interested in the same coins that you pursue. I do however, support your right to collect whatever you want. I will continue to post comments on your coins when I have something of interest to add. Alas that is not often because our collecting areas vary widely.

There is no right or wrong way to collect so long as the collector is enjoying the process. In short I will continue to buy what I want for whatever reasons I choose.

8. Orfew

I wish you luck in finding one that you like.

ominus1 likes this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Which Probus shall I post today? I guess this one, because I like the bust type:

Probus SALVS Antoninianus.jpg
    Probus, AD 276-282.
    Roman billon Antoninianus, 3.25 g, 21.7 mm.
    Ticinium mint, AD 280-82.
    Obv: VIRTVS PROBI AVG, Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust, left, holding spear and shield.
    Rev: SALVS AVG, Salus standing right, feeding serpent held in arms. V in left field; * in right field, TXXI in exergue.
    Refs: RIC-500; Cohen 584.

Okidoki, TheRed, dlhill132 and 11 others like this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Neat find.

IMG_4431.jpg

Okidoki, TheRed, Jay GT4 and 7 others like this.
  11. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Probus, 276-282. Antoninianus, Rome, 282. Obv. PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate and cuirassed bust of Probus to right. Rev. MARTI PACIF / RQΓ Mars advancing to left, holding branch in his right hand, spear and shield with his left. RIC 177.
    112-34.jpg
    Probus, 276-282. Antoninianus, Siscia. Obv. IMP PROBVS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right. Rev. CONCORDIA AVG, Concordia standing left, holding patera and cornucopiae; S in right field, XXI in exergue. RIC 661.
    112-35.jpg

Okidoki, TheRed, dlhill132 and 8 others like this.
  12. maridvnvm

The bust type here is "cuirassed and seen from the rear", which is a generally scarce bust type for Probus from any mint. Of all the mints at which it occurs, Cyzicus is the most common. This reverse type occurs very commonly ay this mint with the "draped and cuirassed bust seen from the rear" (see below). I must admit that of the various rarities that were sold in this auction I only focussed on Lugdunum and even then was only successful on one coin, which is also currently unique but fits into my speciality.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okidoki, TheRed, Jay GT4 and 10 others like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are so many bust types for Probus, I have to ask if there was any method to their use or were the die cutters simply free to make dies as they saw fit. I wonder if Probus actually wore all those different suits or were some associated, perhaps, with a specific unit and coins were made to honor soldiers or other segments of the population. Would the Roman on the street seen any significance in whether a bust was draped and cuirassed or just cuirassed? What message was given by, for example, the portrait below?
    rs3030bb1497.jpg

Okidoki, TheRed, dlhill132 and 7 others like this.
  14. maridvnvm

Those are some interesting questions. The huge number of bust varieties for Probus is bewildering.

G/< has a great page on the bust varieties:-

https://probvs.net/probvs/busts/b-bus-bustforms.html

The rationale or justification behind each of the busts will remain a mystery.

15. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Picked up this one last week, part of a lot, its a $5 coin
    it has an unique shape :)

P1180041ROMA temple2.jpg

Okidoki, cmezner, PlanoSteve and 7 others like this.
  16. Vasilis Haskas

Vasilis Haskas New Member

My Probus
    CLEMENTIA TEMP / E / XXI

MD finding....

Please post your unique coins or your coins of Probus.

PROBUS, 276-282. Mint Cyzicus.
    A 2nd example, however CLEMENTIA TEMP / Q / XXI.
    3.82 g.

Attached Files:

dlhill132 likes this.
  17. maridvnvm

Not Probus. Looks like Antioch mint Numerian.

Orfew and Andres2 like this.
  18. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

Looks like I timed my latest acquisition perfectly! I'm really starting to love the coinage of this era and Probus in particular. Not sure what the next one's going to be yet, perhaps a nice Tacitus..

RIC 202, 3.35 grams
    Export_18-1550x1600.jpg Export_19-1526x1600.jpg

Okidoki, Theodosius, TheRed and 10 others like this.
  19. Orfew

I love that reverse!

Guilder Pincher likes this.
  20. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Not unique at all, but my Probus :)

Antoninianus, Gallia, Ticinum, 279 - 280 AD; Mintmark:-/-//AXXI; 6th emission; 1st officina;
    20 x 21 mm, 3.78 g;
    Reference: RIC V Probus 562; Cohen 591

Obverse: IMP C PROBVS PF AVG Bust of Probus, radiate, cuirassed, right
    Reverse: SALVS AVG Salus, draped, seated left, feeding serpent rising from altar out of patera in right hand; mintmark AXXI

#443-IMG_0058.jpg #443-IMG_0063.jpg

21. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

What a bargain! You might be interested in this piece I wrote about the temple on its reverse.

Andres2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted