Unique 1985 D lincoln cent Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jewels2017, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Well ladies and gentlemen . It might just be me but I think that I may have found another cool and unique one of a kind coin that i have never seen anywhere else before .... And what makes this coin so unique to me is the fact that the letters LIB in the word LIBERTY are actually smaller then the letters ERTY . And so I'm wondering if anyone out there knows what type of die error this is ? Infact i've actually read somewhere before that there are a few 1985 lincoln cents that sold for a few thousand in high grades but I can't seem to find anything anywhere on Unique Errors from the 1985 variety ? Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated .

IMG_20170720_040037.jpg IMG_20170720_040516.jpg IMG_20170724_053627.jpg

Keepright likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

Definitely interesting. No idea if it's worth anything though.

Jewels2017 likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I would sooner think that what you have is a coin struck with a "Debris Fill Die".
    The LIB looks like it was inpacted with Grease/Debris, as does the "I" of IN and the word Trust is also Faint. I would also think that Several coins before and/or after this one look the same.

5. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

I agree Chewmassa it is very interesting . And although I've looked everywhere I still haven't been able to find anything like it ... Coins with just Faded faint letters yes ... But large and small letters together no . And that makes sense with what you said about the grease / debris Alurid but it doesn't explain the reason for BIG and small letters on the word LIBERTY . So I'm still kinda wondering what gives ?

6. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

The word liberty still has all it's fullness ... and those letters appear to be unfaded . So do you think that the Grease or debris could cause the letters to shrink ? Or do you think its something else Aluird ?

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looking at the rest of your Cent I can tell that the issue has to do with Die Deterioration. I have seen many of these weird looking LIBERTY issues... It's not unique.

Stevearino and jay4202472000 like this.
  8. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Well Paddyman98 . Since you say its not unique can you please share photos with us of other ones like this . because I have searched high and low and have not seen any like this anywhere ? Not the grease / debris issues . But ones that specifically have words with Small letters and large letters together ?

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Yes, I do think that this could be the cause. I have seen cents with just one letter smaller. I do not save such coins, as i consider them to be "Minor/Common Errors".
    that have no premium value. I would be prone to saving that coin and calling it "Struck through Grease filled die" or Debris Filled. It will be a good referance coin when you find others with similar attributes.
    The chances of there being other coins just like yours is really high. And I am not going to make a search to prove you wrong,
    "Unique" is a very Strong word to use in a numismatic context, I think when you claim it the burden of proof lies with you. You could say "Only known specimen".
    You could sell it on E-bay and you might get "Big Bucks", but my bid will max out at 25¢.

10. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

11. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Well that's Pretty cool dchjr ... And yours is exactly the same as mines . The Lib is smaller then the ERTY which is really odd because it seems like the die deterioration and Grease seems to be Targeting those three letters or maybe there's something else going on . But anyway guys for the info .guys

Rmo63 likes this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I see you are new to CoinTalk
    There might not be any pictures because it's nothing major. Just Die Deterioration. It's sort of an illusion caused by the Deterioration. The Mint does not deliberately put a few small letters then normal sized letters onto the Die. It's common sense.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  13. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I thought it was "Common Cents"

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

All I will say, gentlemen, is that a quick scan of a certain someone's posting history will speak volumes.... It would genuinely warm my heart to see one of you (or DJ) get through to him though. Good luck, friends....

alurid and paddyman98 like this.
  15. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Wow booksb4coins ... So after the MODERATOR informs all the members " including you " to be done with the antagonizing you still follow me to another one of my post in hopes to create more confusion with other members and more slick comments ... Well since I'm sure that my sentence structure clearly conveyed that I was ASKING Paddyman98 if he had any photos to share and not telling him that he had to do anything ... I won't feed into your childish taunts any further . In any case Thanks for your advice Paddyman98 .

16. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Oh and I agree Paddyman98 and Alurid ... Because I wouldn't think that the mint would ever intentionally put small letters on lincolns cents with big ones because that certainly wouldn't make common cents . Just like I would think that they dont create the other Die Errors that people find because that would surely take all the fun out of these cool coins that have the big and small letters together . Lol

17. thedredge

thedredge Active Member

Jewels2017, I think it looks pretty cool. If I had found something like that I would put them away myself, but that is me. I don't care what others think value wise as to what it would be worth or not. If I think it looks cool and that brings me enjoyment then that is all that matters to me. Is that not what a hobby is all about in the first place? Just like machine damage doubling does not have any value to the experts, but to me I like the effect and they look cool, so I keep an example and so do some of my friends. Canadians Eh! lol

Chewmassa and Jewels2017 like this.
  18. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

19. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Well thanks alot thedredge for sharing your passion in the coin hobby ... Infact I totally agree with you . And yet sometimes it does feel like it is becoming a little hard to enjoy from fear of either catching insults from other members with more experience or just saying the wrong thing . Infact I think i have over a few hundred coins now in my collection . And my lady constantly gets upset with me because I haven't been attempting to sell any of them ... But anyway I would like to start turning a few of them loose eventually because I know that I have alot off really cool ones as well as alot off sought after varities that I haven't even shared yet ... Like speaking of which . Have you seen my Ozark Quarter with the Triple -doubled die . Or the 1972 doubled die Lincoln cents ? I actually have two of the 1972's that i aint even posted yet . Lol

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  20. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Are you even trying to be serious anymore? This is an honest question because you did post a nice Wide AM & a great 2011 DDO.

Jewels2017 likes this.
  21. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

It does look pretty neat and I have never noticed one but then I don't look that closely for minor errors.

I would open the bidding at 15¢.

Jewels2017 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted