Unique 1870-S half dime to be auctioned

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Revello, Dec 5, 2022.

1. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

That coin is the most expensive turd I know if.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

4. Revello

Revello Well-Known Member

Anyone interested in watching a replay of the live bidding on the 1870-S half dime at Session 2 of the FUN US Coins Signature Auction #1356, here's the YouTube link. See portion from 53:45 to 58:25 of the video clip. Winning bidder was Bidder 601. I have no clue who that was.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Bidder 601 was Heritage!

6. Revello

Out of curiosity, how do you know that Bidder 601 was Heritage? I know that the terms and conditions for the Heritage Signature auctions allows Heritage, or its employees, to bid on those auctions, so I'm not questioning whether Heritage can do so. More curious on how you associated that bidder number with Heritage. Thanks in advance.

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Because I have an inside track on it.

Revello likes this.
  8. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

It's good to know the sort of games Heritage plays with these, not that they'd be doing the same on anything I'd be bidding on. I think the seller can bid too, they just have to pay the juice if they accidentally win it. I could be wrong about the details on that. The 1870-S $3 is clearly a Details coin to any of us mere mortals, but being the only one available it probably doesn't matter what's on the slab.

9. Revello

Greatly appreciate you sharing your inside info.

10. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

Heritage has done some not good things in the retro games markets so doesn't suprise me
    https://kotaku.com/youtuber-accuses-million-dollar-retro-game-sales-of-bei-1847557296

Draft saved Draft deleted