Unique 1870-S half dime to be auctioned

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Revello, Dec 5, 2022.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

As for the price...last time it sold it got $1.4 million, so I'd guess its certainly higher than that, especially with the big players. Any less than $3 million would surprise me.

Revello and masterswimmer like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Ohhhhh, that's weak. Hedging your bet on a free WAG price. Come on now. Commit to a bona fide WAG like the rest of us paupers. ;)

4. bikergeek

bikergeek Active Member

This was a fantastic read on a great story. I'm not quite as bullish as some; I'm going to say it will go for $2.6M (all in). I'm now tracking it at HA.

I will say I got a chuckle from @charley who said 10 Mil "CAC'd". Without that bean, who knows... :)

Revello likes this.
  5. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Pickin and Grinin and Revello like this.
  6. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Sold, $2.6 million bid plus BP = $3.12 million.

7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I can't wait for it to arrive!

8. Newbee03

Newbee03 Well-Known Member

I constantly see his property signs. I think it's kind of cool one of the biggest real estate company owner's in my area/state is one of the top coin collector's.

9. Revello

Revello Well-Known Member

Wow, Bikergeek!! I guess I should have asked for WAGs on bid, less buyer's premium, but you were right on the dot with your WAG on that basis. Guess we'll have to seek your opinion on expected final bids on coins we post on Ebay. :happy:

10. bikergeek

bikergeek Active Member

@Revello, I appreciate the vote of confidence but if I had the ability to predict auction sales prices, I'd be a much richer man today! heheheh

I mean, it's easy to predict the multimillion dollar prices - if you're off by a million or so, hey, no harm no foul - what's a million between friends?

Revello likes this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

DLH did not win it. He was the underbidder. Heritage won it.

12. charley

charley Well-Known Member

CAC got screwed on this one....

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

When does the service show up?
    Haven't heard about it in a while?

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Looking like March or April due to supplier delays. “Made in America” sometimes has issues.

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

Price not keeping up with the 1804 Dollar since the $425,000 sale in 1980.

16. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

It's in the mail. Sorry, no tracking number.

Revello and CoinCorgi like this.
  17. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Heritage knows they can convince DLH to pay much more than that . . . to them it's just a waiting game.

As for the sale price, I am shocked.

Revello likes this.
  18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

DLH didn’t like them pushing him up, so he decided to let them eat it. I’m sure he will
    Own it one day, but I think it’ll be for basically the same price. Besides, he won a few other coins…:greedy:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Revello likes this.
  19. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Personally, I'm most surprised that more folks weren't prepared to pursue that coin. They may have decided DLH buying it was a foregone conclusion, and never prepared to bid on that lot.

Of the 75 total bids, at least 71 were placed before the live auction even began . . . not very spirited floor bidding for a unique coin. If more folks really believed they would have a real shot at the coin, I think more would have participated at the high end. Instead, we saw just the opposite.

I don't think there's any chance Heritage is going to sell that coin to him for anywhere near their investment . . . He'd have been better off to bid significantly higher, and avoid being held hostage by Heritage.

Revello likes this.
  20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone else knows this, but DLH doesn’t “need” very many coins. And he passes on upgrades for his set regularly. Just because he’s a billionaire doesn’t mean he throws unlimited money into coins. He gets outbid regularly. He’s still shrewd… But he happily got a couple other coins he liked/wanted this past week or so from the auctions. No sweat.

21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

As for the 1870-S $3 gold that PCGS stupidly graded AU50 despite having been polished, pitted, and graffitied. He put in a few bids, but did not pursue it. It’s hard to have the “showpiece of your collection” be an ugly problem coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted