Unidentified coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orientation2015, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Orientation2015

Orientation2015 New Member

I cant identified this coins. Weight 2.6 grams. Diameter 14.7 mm.

IMG_3423.JPG IMG_3424.JPG Any advice. Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. It is a Roman Provincial coin and it looks like the obverse legend begins "AYKTPA...", which makes me think it's Trajan. It looks like the reverse legend has several legible Greek letters so that will help since it likely tells the place of issue.

Directly under the bust is a Z. LZ? IZ? Regnal year 7 or 17?

Orientation2015 and NOS like this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

man, i don't know..i'm interested, it's a cool coin.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've tried off and on all day with no luck. Even with TIF's hints, I was unable to find a match. Sorry.

6. Orientation2015

Thanks for your try. You think it unpublished coin :)

7. Orientation2015

I hope it will be good one :)

8. Orientation2015

Thank but I still did not able to recognize it :(

9. Orientation2015

If we cant identified it what we can do??!!

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

There isn't one complete resource for Provincial coins. However, I don't think your will prove to be unpublished. Just because the handful of people here who have tried can't quickly identify it doesn't mean it is unknown :).

I believe this one will be readily identified by someone since there are many readable parts of the legends. I spent some time trying and didn't come up with an ID. I'm far from expert though. :D

If you tire of looking, put the coin aside and try again in a few weeks or months. You could also post it on Forvm's Identification Help board.

For what it's worth, here's what I think I see and read (letters may be missing or incorrect):

Obverse
    (Starting at the bottom/back of the neck) AYKTR......OC, plus IZ_ or _ZI below the neck, depending on whether that portion is written clockwise or counterclockwise. Laureate head/bust right. Dotted border.

Reverse
    A P(?) _ _ ....P(?) Δ(or Λ or A) E ω N; Apollo or Diana/Artemis bust right, bow tucked under left arm. Dotted border.

I suspect the complete obverse legend might read AY K TRAIANOC, making it a Trajan issue.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    stevex6 likes this.
  11. Orientation2015

Thanks TIF I will do more search based on your hints :)

Draft saved Draft deleted