Unidentified ancient coin, need help???

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chucktheaggie, Nov 4, 2019.

1. chucktheaggie

chucktheaggie New Member

Hello All,
    I found this coin last week and am very curious if any of the forum members might be able to identify this coin.
    To me it looks ancient, but I could be wrong.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks to all the members!
    - Chuck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Colby J.

Colby J. Well-Known Member

Better pictures please. Try using a brighter camera with a plain background so we can id it. Something like this: (mine for example) 32303440_Unknown.JPG

4. chucktheaggie

chucktheaggie New Member

Will do, just realized not the best pictures. Will add. Thanks Colby.

5. chucktheaggie

chucktheaggie New Member

Here's a quick pic, a little clearer. Have to upgrade my camera to get closer up and still have it clear. Will borrow a better camera tomorrow morning. Hope this pic kinda helps.
    [​IMG]

6. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

A tough one with the encrustations... the reverse legend starts with VIRTVS... that's about all I can tell you.

The reverse looks like a standing figure with a scepter holding something.

If you can get a clearer photo of the bust on the obverse, we may be able to narrow it down more. Is the obverse bust wearing a radiate crown or a laurel?

*also what's the size in mm? It looks pretty small. If it's 15-16mm, it's probably late roman. If larger, maybe 3rd century roman.

7. chucktheaggie

chucktheaggie New Member

Hello Orange Julius,
    Thank you for the time and effort you put into responding to my post. It is appreciated.
    The size of the coin is 15-16mm- you're spot on.
    Unfortunately on the obverse side, it is heavily encrusted. Will see if I can get a better picture of the obverse tomorrow.
    Thanks Orange Julius for the info - take care.
    - Chuck

8. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

If I were forced to guess, I'd say it was from the late 4th - early 5th century. Something like this VIRTVS EXERCITI of Honorius from A.D. 395-401 (photo from Wildwinds, not mine):
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a good argument in favor of electrolysis.

Bing likes this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Could be from just about anyone. The spear or scepter is in the figure's left hand and the figure's right arm is raised. Perhaps something more like this one of Gallienus?

Gallienus VIRTVS AVG Mars globe and spear antoninianus.jpg

Bing likes this.
  10. chucktheaggie

chucktheaggie New Member

Great. Thanks for all the wonderful info gsimonel and Roman Collector.
    So how would one go about getting an electrolysis treatment? Is it coin worth the cost?
    I'm sorry but I'm a newbie and have always been told NOT to clean coins- ever. But if it will help solve the mystery, I'ld be willing to pay for it. I almost have to, the mystery is killing me. Must be the coin bug LOL.

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

You're welcome, but that coin wouldn't be worth it in terms of profit. But would it be worth it to satisfy your curiosity? Maybe!

12. gsimonel

Here's a couple of links to get you started. They are old, though. Current consensus is that you should not use salt alone as the solute because it turns the water acidic, which will damage the surface of your coin. Instead, either mix baking soda in with the salt or use sodium carbonate (Arm & Hammer washing soda, usually available in the laundry-detergent aisle) as your solute. I use sodium carbonate--cheap and effective.
    https://department.monm.edu/classics/COINS/data/cleaning/electrolysis.htm
    http://www.mycoincollecting.com/collecting/cleaning-coins-electrolysis.html

13. chucktheaggie

chucktheaggie New Member

Thank You very much gsimonel! That was very considerate of you, thanks! Have a great day- take care. - Chuck

14. gsimonel

My pleasure. If you do clean it, via electrolysis or some other way, I think we would in be interested in seeing how it turns out. Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted