Unidenfied ancient coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Charles1997, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

Anyone know the ID for this coin? Value?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

It's supposed to be a coin of Miletos struck under magistrate Epikrates but it looks like a pressed forgery in the wrong style to me.

4. Charles1997

Thank you!

5. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I assume you bought this one on eBay as well? If you want to avoid fakes and learn to spot them you would do best to stick with sellers on Vcoins and more well-known auction houses like CNG, Agora, NAC, etc. eBay does nothing to police sellers so you have to know how to spot fakes and there's no shortcut except for spending time handling and studying authentic coins and studying forgery methods.

6. Charles1997

I haven’t bought it yet, I was watching it and was considering buying it!

Kentucky and GerardV like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Smart to ask.

Charles1997 likes this.
  8. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

You may also check two good forgery websites to see if the coin is there. This is one: http://forgerynetwork.com/ and this is Ilya Popolov's site of forum ancients:http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/thumbnails.php
    I rarely buy on ebay unless I know the seller and I always check these sites whenever I buy from anyone. I am not a big collector but I did get burned twice on ebay and got full refunds- partially thanks to the experts on this forum for letting me know the truth. Ebay is a jungle.

Charles1997 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted