Unfettered gall on HSN

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Aug 21, 2016.

1. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Rarity being defined by the number of surviving pieces, it is not a matter of opinion to state that the '16D is not rare. It is fact. Popularity, driven by contemporary marketing due to the relatively low mintage in comparison with other date/mm combinations and the unceremonious distribution of the '16D created an initial surge of interest that never waned.

This is why many feel that this particular coin is overpriced compared with other coins minted with similar production levels.

This particular coin (and others with similar fame.... Or infamy....) is what saps interest and collectors away from collecting classical US coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Many so-called "key dates" aren't actually rare at all, from a numerical standpoint. The 16D Merc has tens of thousands at just PCGS and NGC, and many more tens of thousands in other slabs or raw. It is not rare. Similarly, the 1909S VDB Lincoln is not rare at all - many, many thousands exist (same with the 55 DDO).

It is expensive because there is simultaneously a very high demand for these coins. Where the supply curve and the demand curve intersect is the value point. One can argue whether the high demand is due to the marketing prowess of salesman or not - but these coins are definitely not rare in any absolute sense.

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

in the words of Mike Mezcak, "The single biggest indicator of value is condition!"

which it is NOT, it is demand... but who listens to him anyway???

5. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

My whole point was it is far and away more rare than the stupid gold one, that just came out. It by far has the lowest mintage of any Mercury dime. Yes, I know the difference between a key date and a rare coin lol. On the other hand, most rare coins are keys dates. Yes there are also several key dates that aren't rare. For example, the 1921 peace dollar or the 32 washington quarters aren't that rare. As are numerous others I could name all day. Examples of some rare coins would be the 93 S , and 1889 CC morgan. I would put the 1916 D above VG 10 in the scarce category. I don't care what any of you dorks think.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Again neither of those is actually rare. There are thousands and thousands of each

7. HAB Peace 28 2.0

So you are saying on a coin board where other people can see what you are saying? That a 1893 S Morgan isn't rare? Is that really what you are saying? [edited]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2016
  8. baseball21

[edited] 1893S PCGS graded just shy of 6k, NGC graded just shy of 3 thousand. You could cut those numbers in half for either service and it still wouldn't be rare. Rare in coins like everyone else knows doesn't mean thousands of thousands. You keep using the ebay "Super Ultra Rare Perfect L@@K" definition of rare in your comments

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2016
  9. HAB Peace 28 2.0

I've had a real bad day, today. Right or wrong, I'm sorry for saying that. I'll delete it. If u hate me, I TOTALLY understand and don't blame you. I apologize.

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Morgan Dollars are a bad example of rarity. The number of surviving pieces of any date m/m combination are completely unknown.

I think that the term rare is overused and mostly misused, but that's because it's a general term, not a specific one.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Unless you are using as in the case of the Sheldon rarity scale in which case it IS specific. A coin is not "rare" unless there are fewer than 75 pieces known to exist. (in all conditions) Even then a Rare coin is not necessarily a valuable coin. And a popular coin can be expensive even if it isn't rare.

mikenoodle likes this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Interesting. How was the figure of 75 determined? It seems to me that if there are 75 or fewer coins in all grades, it's much rarer than rare if you catch what I'm saying.

13. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Are you guys talking about US Money Reserve?

14. baseball21

I believe its a reference to the Sheldon scale which is the most an R5 can have which is the first level they designate as rare. Anything over 1250 on that scale is considered common I believe

Draft saved Draft deleted