Unfettered gall on HSN

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I fail to see the good in this.:yuck: if you see anything good, jump in. The water is fine.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PAEMT

PAEMT StreetMedic

"But I only have a limited quantity folks. I worked all my sources for months just to get this limited amount being made available right now in this hour, and I may not be able to get any more in for two or three months ... and who knows how high the cost will be in two months! ... let me just check a national coin dealer catalog (pulls out Littleton Coin catalog) and you can see here that my price is almost 15% lower than this nationally advertised coin dealer!"

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Oh boy. You asked for it now Santini. Litterally

Insider and Santinidollar like this.
  5. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I like comparing HSN's coin prices, to those on ebay, and other sites as well. A friend of mine fell for the complete 68-2008 proof set for 499.99 from them. I then pulled up the same set on the bay for 299.99, he still thought he got a good deal. How? I have no idea, oh wait. d-e-n-i-a-l.

Santinidollar likes this.
  6. Santinidollar

I'm not sure who is victimized by this vicious peddling the most. I have a sickening feeling that it is older folks who want to leave something of "value" to their grandchildren

7. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

HSN is seen in more households than any other channel that has a coin show. In some cases, it is the only channel that people get that has a coin show, especially if they have cable as opposed to satellite. In this case they haven't anything else to compare it to.

I know air time is expensive and shows on TV have to charge a higher price for coins than eBay or brick and mortar stores, but I personally believe they are charging way more than they need to meet the expensive they have. I have Dish Network and there are several coin shows- HSH's Coin Collector, Coin Vault, Rick Tomaska's US Coin Show, AAN Auction Network, and Don Davis' Show. I have never bough a coin from any of these shows, because I know better. The question is, how many people buy from these shows because they don't know any better?

I've been in local coin shops when people bring in coins that they bought from these shows and want to sell them. We know the difference between bid and ask and blue book and red book, but a lot of people don't and they take out their frustrations on the local coin dealer when he tells them what they bought is really worth. I have seen people shout at local dealers and claim they are ripping them off for the low price they are being offered.

So to answer the question, "does these coin sows help or harm coin collecting?" I think they are giving coin collecting a black eye. I think that some of them go over the line with what they say on the air. They are not supposed to say that the buyer is making an "investment", they are not supposed to say that the coins will "appreciate", there is a list of terms that they are not permitted to use after the fiasco of trading modern coins as if they were stocks and bonds. Unfortunately, the majority of people I have personally observed trying to sell these coins to local dealers are people who can least afford to pay the prices TV coin shows charge.

Stevearino and Santinidollar like this.
  8. Santinidollar

As far as HSN goes, I think the air time cost argument is weak at best, bogus at worst. HSN operates 24-7 and their production costs are fixed whether they are selling coins, clothes or electronics. I believe they are selling coins at outrageous prices because THEY CAN.

Now the other shows on satellite TV have to arrange and pay for their own carriage. That's not cheap. But the prices (whether they are the result of the costs, or the intent of buying the air time) are still a ripoff for the buyer and a black eye for the hobby as @TheMont pointed out.

An informed consumer is the only solution.

9. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

For all of us informed consumers, the show is good for a nice belly laugh, and that's what's really important, right?..... Right?!?!?!

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Take that Santini! :spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer:

As I wrote: I am not a fan of HSN and no one can argue that people buying the products they sell are always overpaying and almost always stuck with a poor "investment"; however, HSN employs folks, supports the coin dealer suppliers and their employees and their suppliers. Why, they even help make the market for the stuff they sell.

When I was involved in a small way with the HSN "system," RC would come to the store; meet with the owner and discuss/finalize what would be on the show at a later date. The owner would go out and buy what was needed on the open market. We assembled the product and delivered samples for TV. When the show was over we would ship out the stuff to the buyers.

Here is my ONLY regret. During a year's time preparing the shows, I had to dip over a thousand end roll and rainbow toned Morgan's because "Bright" sells!

I don't remember thinking twice about what I did. Guess that makes me a "bottom feeding, slime ball" :bigtears::(:sorry:

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I flipped to it last night or the night before. He was selling all 30 or so S mint proof sets for $13 each at like $400 and went on a diatribe that if you sold each coin individually they're worth $1500. Man I just pictured the old guys sitting at home and ordering 10 "sets" for $4k thinking they'll make ten grand :(

I think he's got a lot worse than when I watched it last time like 8-12 months ago. He seemed somewhat reasonable back then.

And did the white chick get fired? He's got a new girl now. Or is she just a temporary substitute?

Oh and he keeps coughing now. He sounds a bit sickly

12. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

>Unfettered gall on HSN

Well at least it wasn't unmitigated gall. That's the worst.

Stevearino and Santinidollar like this.
  13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Did any of you see the Presidential Dollar set he was selling?

They kept showing a close-up of the set, and whoever assembled it put an Andrew JOHNSON Dollar in the slot for the Andrew JACKSON.

I wonder how long it will take for them to notice and fix it?

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The hosts work according to their schedule. He used to be on with Robin all of the time because he was on at 2am and she worked overnights.

Cascade likes this.
  15. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

I learned that the new gold Merc sp 70 is BY FAR the rarest of the Mercury dimes! I guess the 1916 D and the 1921 dates aren't anything special lol.

16. HAB Peace 28 2.0

Haha, I'm definitely not surprised.

17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If you consider it part of the series it is technically true it had the lowest mintage which is the art of the salesmanship and how they're successful. Really though the 16-D isn't rare by any stretch of the imagination either though. If you had the funds you could basically build a grading set of it except maybe the top pop after spending an hour online.

18. HAB Peace 28 2.0

So your saying the 16 D isn't that rare? Yes, I know if you had the funds u could easily build a good Merc set online. No, I do not consider a gold Merc minted in 2016 part of the series.

19. baseball21

I don't consider the 16-D rare at all. PCGS has graded over 10k of them and NGC has graded several thousand as well. I wouldn't consider anything with surviving numbers in the 10s of thousands to be rare in any form. There's certainly conditional rarities for it by not as a whole

20. HAB Peace 28 2.0

I don't mess with Merc dimes. If you think the 16 D isn't considered a rare coin, I guess that's your opinion. I know it's far and away the key to the series. I would imagine any Merc collector wouldn't mind to own one in any grade. Yes, I know there are several worn ones.

21. baseball21

I don't know anyone that would consider it to be rare in all honesty. Being popular or being a key has nothing to do with actual rarity they all mean different things.

Draft saved Draft deleted