Unfettered gall on HSN

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If you happen to be up right now, tune in to HSN and see the world's most famous coin salesman.

His gall, as well as his overpricing, are hitting new levels.

My favorite: A 1986 ASE proof for $149.95, ungraded. I paid 60 bucks for one a couple of weeks ago.

You've already missed your chance to buy four common date Morgans overpriced by 40 percent.

And now we have the 2016 platinum eagle proof for $2,999.95. He's throwing in the redwood presentation box for free!

I won't be able to go to sleep unless I can quit laughing....

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Mad Stax likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

These guys are good for a laugh.
    But it's really too bad when you think about the grannies that they're preying on.

Blissskr and Santinidollar like this.
  4. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Is the salesman by chance the one and only Mike Mezack? He's definitely an entertaining man, and quite talented considering how he can rehash the same talking points over and over for half an hour. That said, even Google is a bit skeptical of him...
    image.jpeg

5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

HAHA he's very good at what he does. If I had a product to sell, he might be the guy.

6. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

8. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

The cost of running that airtime is expensive. Someone has got to pay for it and it is the buyers.

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Who is it?

I know Rick Tomaska has one of these TV shows as well, with equally ridiculous pricing.

10. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I once saw a television ad with 1950's pop singer Pat Boone pushing coins.

:)

11. Santinidollar

I believe Pat Boone (or as my father called him, Bat Poone) is now in the gold selling business on TV ads.

12. Santinidollar

Well if you missed Mezack last night, he has a return engagement tonight on HSN.

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

The one I can't stand is Phillip Diel. A past US Mint director now hawking overpriced gold from a shady company who's name makes you think they are actually affiliated with the US Mint then they have a past mint director peddling their overpriced gold thereby furthering the deception. Guess he needs a paycheck though

Santinidollar likes this.
  14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I am not defending this type of show. I am very familiar with the ENTIRE HSN process including being at the studio during a show when Robert was there in the 1990's.

Now, we all know the bad aspects of HSN. Can any of you think of ANY good effects that HSN has for the coin business? Just curious?

15. Santinidollar

The Diel ad is definitely aimed at older folks who probably should be least dipping into the gold market. A subtle scare tactic.

16. Santinidollar

It may get people initially interested in coin collecting. Then, one of two things are bound to happen: 1. They actually get into it, learn to research prices, find out how badly they've been ripped off and bad-mouth the hobby into perpetuity; or 2. Their children are left with the task of selling their coins, find out how badly they've been ripped off and bad,-mouth the hobby into perpetuity.

No, I really don't see what good HSN does coin collecting.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. Insider

"No, I really don't see what good HSN does coin collecting."

Well, this is one of them. "It may get people initially interested in coin collecting."

How else does HSN BENIFIT our hobby?

18. Santinidollar

I'll put it this way: In the big, long-term picture, HSN does nothing good for our hobby.

19. Insider

Such a biased and narrow thought. Many times there is good and bad in a situation. ;)

20. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

I agree with you. For the few who become actual collectors, a huge multiple will view the hobby negatively and share their experiences with other non-collectors who will also be influenced.

I can't prove it, but I believe a large number of non-collectors or prior collectors have been ripped off by sources such as this one. Looking at the population reports, it's the best answer I can come up with for the counts on so many coins. If not sold already, eventually this stuff will come to market and depress the prices.

Santinidollar likes this.
  21. Santinidollar

There were supposedly 35 or so people last night who bought the platinum proof at $2,999 last night. Just hop over to eBay and see how badly they got ripped off. Wish they had before calling in.

Draft saved Draft deleted