Unexpected win at Roma XX.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Michael Stolt, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

I wasn't supposed to bid at Roma XX today, but let's say my fingers slipped when I saw this beautiful Antonian cistophoric tetradrachm at a relatively low price. It feels great to add this to the collection as it is a type that's been high on my list for a while. I'm also excited that this is a larger silver denomination, as these are uncommon in Republican coinage.

image00373.jpg

Marc Antony and Octavia. AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm (12.40g, 27mm, 12h). Minted in Ephesus, Ionia. 39 BC.

Obverse: M•ANTONIVS•IMP•COS•DESIG•ITER•ET•TERT, head of Antony right, wearing ivy wreath, lituus below; all within wreath of ivy and flowers.

Reverse: III•VIR• R•P•C, head of Octavia atop cista mystica, between twisting snakes.

References: RPC 2201; RSC 2; CRI 262.

Seated J, Curtisimo, Edessa and 40 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & avid numismatist Moderator

That's really nice. I have never had any cistophoric coins.

Michael Stolt likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member Supporter

I guess the coin was overshadowed by the sale having so many great coins. There is no reason that so nice a coin should not sell well. Congratulations.

Michael Stolt and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Wonderful cistophorus @Michael Stolt !!!! I especially like Octavia's portrait, it looks exceptionally crisp! Congrats!

6. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Supporter! Supporter

Congrats! That's a wonderful and historic type.

7. Michael Stolt

Thank you! This will be my first.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Michael Stolt

Thanks Doug! I agree that the multitude of great pieces in the sale kept prices down a little here and there on other coins.

9. Michael Stolt

Thank you! :)

10. Michael Stolt

Thank you! :)

11. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Supporter! Supporter

Mike, Nice score :D! I noticed that coin in the Provincial section & was tempted to bid on it too :happy:. Instead I waited for lot 382, much to my regret :(, pictured below. The coin had an estimate of 2,500 British pounds that I thought was high, so I bid 2,200 on it. It went for 2,800 :mad:.

Geta Tetradrachm, Ex Prieur 1135, Roma XX.jpg
    Geta as Caesar, AD 205-207, Laodicaea ad Mare, AR Tetradrachm: 27 mm, 13.48 gm, 6 h. Prieur 1135.

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE Supporter

Outstanding coin! Congrats, @Michael Stolt ! Very historical, very nice, great detail.

Michael Stolt and Carl Wilmont like this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

14. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Supporter! Supporter

We're never "supposed" to, it's just an automatic response to a stimulus, sort of like bees to nectar....:D

Very beautiful, crispy specimen, & really, how can you go wrong with snakes?...@TIF?...anyone?...:joyful::joyful::joyful:;)

ominus1 likes this.
  15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..EVERYBODY needs at least one snake coin....:D..i had this one for 12+ years before Doug Smith told me for sure who was on the obverse...snake! :eek: not rounds    snake coin 004.JPG not rounds    snake coin 003.JPG Provincial Marcrinus & Son

Attached Files:

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted