Unexpected Nickel find.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MeowtheKitty, Jul 16, 2019.

1. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow bought a Jefferson Nickel coin cover on fleabay. Meow was not expecting the Nickel on the cover to be so interesting. It was a bit of a surprise. A nice example of grease on die nickel.
    WIN_20190716_01_05_34_Pro.jpg WIN_20190716_01_08_53_Pro.jpg WIN_20190716_01_09_36_Pro.jpg WIN_20190716_01_10_34_Pro.jpg WIN_20190716_01_11_00_Pro.jpg WIN_20190716_01_11_21_Pro.jpg WIN_20190716_01_11_53_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Supporter! Supporter

Claimed for the cat hoard!

MeowtheKitty likes this.
  4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Well-Known Member

Purrfect for the Collection.

MeowtheKitty likes this.
  5. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Active Member

This reminds me of a similar feature frequently seen on ATB Quarters.

Mike Diamond says this is a "struck-through" error in which the foreign material on the die face was constantly rearranging itself through the press run. Ken Potter agrees and says offending material like this can stay within a pair of dies shifting around for hundreds of strikes at times.

The nickels on the First day of Issue Cover is neat!

6. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow is pretty sure this is a instance of grease on dies. Very common on ATBs. Meow has a small 2x2 box full of flips with examples of that.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Meow made a great buy!

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Supporter! Supporter

Especially with the low relief of current dies... It's not getting stuck deep in the die to hang around for a while

9. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Active Member

Agree! If I wasn't clear, my apologies. Thought I was saying the same thing. Like your find!

MeowtheKitty likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted