unexpected indo parthian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Muhammad Niazi, Jun 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

I recently acquired some jital coins, among them this coin caught my eye. I couldnt identify it till I got it. the bust was unmistakably parthian, with their wedge shaped beard with a wavy texture and big round eyes.

Parthian coins are one of my favorite coinage due to their beauty (especially the silver ones with their extensive legend)
    I hadnt known they produced small copper drachms until now.

The coin is of the king Gondaphares I, who founded the Indo Parthian Kindgom.
    The name of Gondaphares was translated in Armenian in "Gastaphar", and then in Western languages into "Gaspard". He may be the "Gaspard, King of Persia", who, according to apocryphal texts and eastern Christian tradition, was one of the three Biblical Magi who attended the birth of Christ.

gondaphares copper drachm northern India 20-50AD.
    Diademed and bearded bust, right. corrupt Greek legend / Pallas standing right with thunderbolt and shield. Karosthi legend and control marks.

IMG-20190627-WA0035.jpg
    20190627_160349.jpg

paschka, Shea19, Ed Snible and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Totally awesome! :happy::singing:

Muhammad Niazi likes this.
  4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Nice little coins, here's mine:

Persia Parthia 2.jpg

5. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

View attachment 956626
    Welcome to the Forum @Muhammad Niazi ! I'm glad to make your acquaintance! I've been away for a few months. I have some Indo-Scythian coins.

INDO_SCYTHIAN_POSTER.jpg

paschka, GinoLR, Shea19 and 4 others like this.
  6. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

What a lovely way to catalogue your coins! great condition on all of them too!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Nice pieces. I think I have most of those on the poster. I started a tet collection for a while, got about 8 different types. I love all of the old schools gods and goddesses on the reverses.

chrsmat71 and Deacon Ray like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I've got a Gondophares / Athena Indo-Parthian combo as well!

100_6823.JPG

9. Maddoctor

Maddoctor New Member

I just found one on eBay. Mine has some surface silver plating with copper showing through.

Draft saved Draft deleted