Unexpected costs

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by mightyknighty, May 2, 2021.

1. Stanw891

Stanw891 Active Member

Listen, right now all you are saying is that old shiny trinkets are more important to you than your family...and you think others are being illogical?! Let’s just say there will be way less income and no credit for your shiny trinkets after your soon to be ex-wife takes you to the cleaners.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

That's not the point at all. I'm not going to get into that kind of discussion.

4. Stanw891

Stanw891 Active Member

Yea, because going behind your wife’s back to pay for coins you can’t afford, because you have a car you can’t afford, isn’t superficial huh?

5. Stanw891

Stanw891 Active Member

Anyway, I have to stop reading this. As a man who loves and respects my wife and children, I am just going to peace out, while you try to pick up the pieces of your life! Best of luck. You may want to save your line of credit for a good lawyer in the future though...

6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Things are getting overheated. People have given you some good advice. You can take it or not. It's your life.

7. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

We're obviously cut from very different molds, because my solution (if I had this problem) is easy, but you wouldn't like it. Hint: it doesn't only involve coins and cars.

8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

CHECK YOUR WARRANTY. I threw a rod on my wife’s car a couple years ago. We thought we were screwed because it was past the manufacturer’s warranty, but the transmission had an extended warranty. Do not say ANYTHING to make it sound like it was your fault. Admittedly, I don’t know what happened to your car, but the way you worded it, it doesn’t sound like a collision.

9. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I'll summarize my thoughts with just: "Wow."

Don't go into debt for coins or cars or handbags. If the car repairs will drain your savings, you should not own (or repair) the car: cut your losses now.

"Status symbols" are meaningless if you can't put food on your table and it seems like you are seriously at risk for that occurring.

10. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

A "Dutch Uncle" is definitely needed in your case to steer you in the right direction because the one you have chosen will only bring misery and heartache. A marriage counselor, as others have stated, should be your first step. Your image seems to be your top concern. What would you do if you lost your job, had to sell your car and lost your house or condo? You need a wake-up call and I'm on the line right now trying to point you in the right direction.

Dynoking, Stanw891 and DonnaML like this.
  11. sand

sand Well-Known Member

For $35,000, you could buy a brand new car (Ford, Chevy, etc) with cash. Or take out a loan to buy a brand new car, with monthly car payments. Is the Porsche paid for? Or are you still making payments on the Porsche? Either way, you could just let the Porsche sit in your garage, and drive your brand new car, until you eventually have money to get the Porsche fixed. Or it may be better to sell the Porsche. Perhaps someone would pay money for it, if it's cheaper to buy it from you, and get the transmission fixed, than the price of a typical 2015 used Porsche.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  12. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

Wow....this is why I stick to classic muscle cars. To me, 35000 for a transmission job, isn't worth it. I can't wrap my head around the cost of it all. Though it is not my vehicle and not my money so you should do whatever you deem to be best for you.

IMG_20190308_105925815_HDR.jpg

Edward A Jones, Joea59 and Dynoking like this.
  13. Robert Ransom

Absolutely get your point. My point is you have very serious problems confronting you and cannot see them because you are blinded by your zeal to acquire ancient coins. Get professional help and I do not mean financial.

AncientJoe likes this.
  14. Robert Ransom

I suspect a case of reality is in the offing. What make/year car does she drive?

15. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Hopefully you invested some money in Dogecoin, Ethereum or Bitcoin early on......
    35k for a new transmission is kind of BS imo.

Anyways, I hope you find out what to do in this situation.

16. sand

sand Well-Known Member

Like @FitzNigel said, check to see, if the Porsche is still under warranty. If so, then the manufacturer would probably pay for the new transmission, or they would probably pay to repair the transmission. If a car needs a new transmission, after only 6 years, then I would say that car is a "lemon". Maybe next year it will need a new engine. Etc. It may be best, to let the car sit in the garage, until you can afford to pay for such expensive repairs. You can just buy a brand new car, perhaps a more affordable car, with a car loan, and monthly car payments.

DonnaML likes this.
  17. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

How much do you think you can get for your wife?

Yes . . . kidding.

18. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

My wife would rather me spend $5k a year on coins than buy a Porsche I think(but then again, I do almost all the work on our cars myself, so I'd rather not drive a Porsche either since I probably couldn't fix it)

19. sand

sand Well-Known Member

It sounds like you cannot afford $35,000 for a new transmission, at the present time. I don't think it's worth it, to spend your entire savings, on a single car repair. What if you have other unexpected expenses, in the near future? Maybe it would be better, to pay $10,000 for this guy to fix the transmission, even if it won't last as long. Maybe the fix would last long enough, that by the time it breaks again, you may be in a better financial situation, and you may be able to afford to replace the transmission at that future time. And if something else goes wrong with the car in the near future, like an engine failure, and you decide the car is a lemon and a money pit, then you won't have spent so much money on it.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  20. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I believe that I have asked auction houses twice to rescind my bids. This is over a forty year period. I cannot remember the circumstances of the transactions however I can say that in both cases they did so and I had no problem afterwards. I suspect if I made a habit of it, that could be a problem. Another option would be to ask for some more time. About three years ago I went to London to attend COINEX. Naturally I went to all the shops and spent way too much money. When I came back the transmission of my 2012 Cruze died and I was confronted with a massive unexpected bill.:eek: About the only thing that saved me was that I had a small emergency fund that covered about a third of what I needed to pay to get the car back on the road.
    I really had to scramble and since I had picked up some of the coins on credit,:banghead: I had to cash in some currency I had been saving up for a trip to Germany:sorry: but still that was not enough.:( I had to contact them and ask for some extra time. All were okay with that and I survived. I even managed to recover enough to go to the NYINC:). However since then I have maintained a dedicated maintenance fund to cover future misadventures of this kind. Every month I have an automatic withdrawal from my pension into this account so in a way I never see it.:)
    However one of the problems of owning these really expensive cars is that they assume you can pay for the maintenance. My friend used to lease a Jaguar and what he had to pay for an oil change ..:woot::dead:

DonnaML, Volodya and Roman Collector like this.
  21. mightyknighty

mightyknighty Member

@Terence Cheesman It seems you had a very similar experience with me. Yes I do have emergency funds and that is part of my savings however, 35K car cost would chew up all my emergency funds and nothing would be left for coins. On the other hand I like to keep my face as CNG customer. My image is utmost important thing for me to keep. For Porsche and maybe other high end cars parts are very expensive. I just called two other dealerships and they gave me roughly the same number so seems it is not avoidable. Unfortunately the guarantee on the car has passed and to answer another gentleman question, no it was not accident it happened due to a long time leak that went into transmission somehow and corroded the transmission shaft into powder iron I can't believe but the mechanic showed me that image of how the shaft was powdery and totally destroyed.

Draft saved Draft deleted