Uneven collars?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Forkeh, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Forkeh

Forkeh New Member

So I have a bunch of coins with uneven collars (very thick on one side, but little to no collar on the other), pennies, dimes, nickles, even a few quarters. Are these actually error coins? Are they worth anything, or am I just collecting them for novelty? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have any quirky coin, they make me smile for some reason, I'm just curious and finally got around to asking.

Oh, and if someone could clue me in on the technical name of these, I'd appreciate that too.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

What you are describing is most likely several MADs (misaligned dies). Is one side a bit off center and the other side pretty much perfectly centered? If so they are MADs.

Gladly. Coins do not have collars. What I think you are talking about is the 'rim'. (The collar is part of the press that strikes the coin. The planchet is placed in the collar between two dies and struck. The collar is the third die and keeps the coin from expanding more than desired during the striking process. The collar also imparts an edge design - smooth, reeded, lettered, etc.)

How uploading a good photo so we can see what you are talking about?

4. Forkeh

Forkeh New Member

Thank you, that was very helpful :) and that's precisely it. One side is perfect, but the other is off.

Unfortunately I'm not in possession of my good camera right now. I have one on my phone, but it's not a very good one, and it's like 2 am where I live. I'll see if I can get any sort of passable shot in the morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted