Understanding wiped and glazed as "cleaning terms" for coins - and thanks!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

So I was saved by two very well trained graders at the coin show in Carson City yesterday.

I've been on the hunt for a high grade uncirculated 1934-S Peace Dollar for my NGC MS64 registry set. I reviewed a bunch of close, AU, cleaned, and otherwise nice coins that couldn't make the grade - and I was able to clearly identify them (worn high points, smoothed areas, etc). I did come across one that I was sure could make the cut. In fact, the reverse was an MS65 or even better - and the obverse was truly gorgeous - but something about it just isn't right. I couldn't figure it out - even after spending almost 10 minutes on it with a loupe. I just couldn't see it, but something wasn't right - and it was in a cardboard flip and I had to deal with reading the coin under the clear film.

I have befriended a local dealer in my town a while back. The guy is a VERY good grader - in fact over the last few shows I've brought a few coins for review and his grades have been spot on after sending the coins to ANACS to have them authenticated and slabbed. His grades have been 100% so - I kinda trust him (he is a dealer after all, but he's good at what he does, and I owe him and thank him for yesterday!).

On to the coin, I asked the seller if I could have a second opinion on it and within 15 seconds the guy says "there is a small wipe mark and it has been glazed on the obverse" and his buddy said the same thing.

Needless to say, this could have been a ~$3000 mistake if I hadn't studied closely.

Now I didn't want to take any more of anyone's time - and I wanted to learn a bit more about high end cover ups.

I get wiping (it's been wiped in one spot), although it's very difficult to see.

What is glazing and how is it done? Anyone else experienced this, and how have they discovered it?

serafino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Mop & Glo? :p

I'm just teasing. I don't know what glazing is. But a supposed $3,000 coin in a staple holder is a big red flag.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Did you ask your dealer friend what he meant?

I'm not familiar with the term glazing.

5. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I think many of us would like to be educated on this wipe and glazing coin treatment.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

That's the risk with raw expensive coins.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I suspect it is a nice term for using nose grease or 'filler' to reduce the appearance of scratches on the surface by filling the shallow lines. It used to be common on 'sliders', before TPGs and more collectors started to use acetone which would remove the filler.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I've never heard the term glazed used to describe a coin either, but I suspect it has something to do with the application of a foreign material to the surface of the coin. Probably something like the artificial cameo effect that is applied to Proofs, but different since it is being used on a business strike. But basically the same principle.

longnine009, Kentucky and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

10. longnine009

Kentucky likes this.
  11. longnine009

Aluminum Oxide?

12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Since it appears that it was the "Seller" that responded "there is a small wipe mark and it has been glazed on the obverse", you should have asked HIM what he meant. Or did you leave out the part where you walked the coin over to your buddy?

Regardless, whomever used the term "glazed" should have been asked exactly what they meant.

13. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

What a peanut gallery!

14. longnine009

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Nice cartwheeling too.

longnine009 likes this.
  16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Unfortunately, there's a small hole in it. No TPG would grade that problem-free.

Kentucky and NSP like this.
  17. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Except for SGS. That would end up in an MS70, maybe MS69 slab.

Kentucky likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Apparently Jim was posting while I was still typing my response, he could easily be correct. They could have been substituting the term "glazed" for the more common and well known term "thumbed". That is what you call it when a coin has had nose grease applied. And it does create a somewhat glazed looking appearance.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto.

glazing?

Draft saved Draft deleted