Understanding the 1921 and 1922 peace dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Windi, Dec 6, 2017.

1. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Super info Dave, hee hee, see how I did that?:smuggrin:

Windi likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Windi

Windi Member

Thank you! I did notice extra mountain ridges and rays on my piece along with the collar clash (I learned :). I also noticed a die break? Along the bust. That is what people are calling the line fracture? I actually purchased 4 of 1922 peace dollars and although this one appeared to be the grainiest (it's rough to touch) it had the most detail.
    Definitely addicting!!

JAY-AR likes this.
  4. Windi

Windi Member

Oh wow. I'm going to be reading for a very long time. What a great site! Thank you!

JAY-AR likes this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I really like Peace Dollars too. I have to keep myself from buying 1921s and other High Relief coins (like modern gold 1oz).

JAY-AR and Windi like this.
  6. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Hee hee hee, your gonna get hooked Windi! PM me if you decide to join VAMworld, there is no cost and they and great people there that will help you. It's tons of fun!

7. Windi

Windi Member

I'm over whelmed...I think I need a cold drink to be doing this. I am going to ask Santa for a magnifying glass next.. I will certainly message you. Thank you so much for the info!

8. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

My pleasure, it is overwhelming, just ease into it, that's what I did, trust me, the peeps at VAMworld are great and super duper helpful!

Windi likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No high and low relief refer to the height of the relief above the field of the coin. It has nothing to do with the width of the rims.

10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I thought the Medium Relief 1922s were the 35,000 minted and called High Relief. They are a hybrid piece between the High Relief 21's and normal issue Low Relief 1922-35 pieces.

11. TheFinn

Make sure you ask the big guy for a good quality, name brand lens. Should be a triplet of 10X minimum.

Windi likes this.
  12. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Finn, why would you want a triplet of more than 10x magnification?

coin grading is done at 5x

13. Windi

Windi Member

I'm blind as it is close up..lol that would work well. I am using my 3.0 readers, a magnifying glass, my phone then enlarging the picture to see. Thank you!

14. Windi

Windi Member

He must know that I am challenged ..I need all the help I can get

15. Windi

Windi Member

Really? I was under the impression they were wagon wheel type larger and that was why they they did not stack well. Not due to the detail of the field. I guess I'm getting conflicting information.

16. Windi

Windi Member

The 1921 peace dollar rim thickness went from 3.1 to 2.4 for lower relief? I understand a high relief impression is much deeper which would press further onto the planchet? (Right term?) The modifications made were to shorten the width create a smooth coin without so much ridge and less pressure so that they would stack better?

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The thickness was changed so they didn't 'bust' so many dies.......

18. TheFinn

Because if you are trying to look at small details, you need more magnification. Look at some of the pictures posted on here - they are at 200X. There is grading, and there is identifying. If you don't know the difference, then keep to NCLT proof silver.

19. TheFinn

They are both the same thickness. The difference is that the relief rises up further from a lower field. The rim thickness is the same. Stack 20 Morgan Dollars next to 20 1921 Peace Dollars and 20 1922 Peace Dollars and they will be the same height.

Windi likes this.
  20. TheFinn

Same thickness. Just the relief above the field is difference.

Windi likes this.
  21. Windi

Windi Member

Yes! It had been a reeded edge of 3.1 but then went down to t
    I got the wrong information. The web has many many diversions. Ugh Screenshot_20171207-201427.png

Draft saved Draft deleted