Understanding terms visually

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JMiller, May 19, 2015.

1. JMiller

JMiller Member

Can some people post picture of different types of errors (with labels) to help us newbies figure out what we're looking@ thank you and which errors are valuable

Amos 811 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

A coin missing a clad layer can range from red to brown in appearance depending on whether it is uncirculated or circulated. Oftentimes coins that have been in the ground are confused with a brown coin missing a clad layer. Values can vary widely depending on how much someone wants it. The uncirculated Kennedy half shown below is one of only two known for the date/mintmark and the other one sold for $555 in 2005.

Chris

2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

5. cpm9ball

The only drawback to this site is that the photos are probably proprietary and will change as coins are sold. I think the OP is looking more for a photo library of errors as a permanent resource.

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

7. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

1984ddo.png 1984ddo.JPG

1984 DDO found today in a roll.

jay4202472000 and gijoe76 like this.
  8. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

Here are a few of the Kennedy half dollar ERRORS we have, in the owners comments states what is on the label: http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase.aspx?sc=2045

If you use the "Digital Album" and move the mouse around over the coins, it is easier to see some of the ERRORS: http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/Album.aspx?showcaseid=2045

Don't know if this is what you are looking for or if it helps or not but they are fun to collect!

Caleb

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

This is a very unusual error, I'd think. How is it just one side of the strip gets plated?

10. JMiller

JMiller Member

Thx everyone for the links it will help out

11. cpm9ball

It is not that one side of the strip gets plated and the other doesn't. It's because the clad layer does not adhere properly. This occurs more frequently on the end of the roll. When the blanks are cut from the sheet, the clad layer falls away.

It is harder to find larger coins missing the clad layer because it is easier for Mint employees to spot them because of their size. They will have a better chance of being missed when the side missing the clad layer is lying face down or buried under other coins during transport.

Chris

12. JMiller

JMiller Member

What type of error would this be?

Attached Files:

13. Seattlite86

I say it's just plate bubbling, but the bubbles distract from the doubling, which I think is machine doubling.

Draft saved Draft deleted