Understanding EPQ/PPQ

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Osmanli, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Osmanli

Osmanli Member

I'm trying to learn more about the EPQ/PPQ designation and what it means to be original. This is not my note, but I have one almost exactly the same. I have a few questions. What are the possible reasons that it did not receive the EPQ? What is most likely or what is your best guess as to why it didn't receive EPQ?

lf.jpg lf2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Several years ago I had the same question concerning a note I bought that was graded by PCGS. It was graded 64 with no PPQ. I sent the note to a friend that was a former grader at PMG. He cut the note out and inspected for me. He said that sometime in the notes life it had been pressed...disqualifying it from a PPQ designation. I’m not saying that’s the case with the OP’s note, but it’s really hard to tell when it’s still in the TPG holder.

AA9773BC-D604-4F62-A996-04B5D135F1F9.jpeg

Edited to add; Years ago, before TPG’s, many older notes with a natural paper wave were improved (pressed). I believe back then a crisp, flat note was preferred. Opinions have changed since then, along with how the notes are printed. Although we can look for obvious imperfections, it is almost impossible to grade a note accurately with scans or photos, especially when in a TPG holder.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Osmanli and Hookman like this.
  5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Nice Hawaiian.

Draft saved Draft deleted