Understanding Auctions For Dummies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GoldFinger1969, Nov 19, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me what each of these lines indicates after the 1912 description line ? This was for a Barber dime at tonight's Heritage Simpson auction....I'm trying to understand the lingo and terminology.

Also, the coin went for $9,000 ($10,800 with bp) -- that is way above the price estimates below. Can anybody tell me why it's way above not only the 2 CDN prices (Coin Dealer Newsletter ?) and also the PCGS PG ? And why is the PCGS PG > the 2 CDN's by a huge amount ?

1912 10C PR67 Cameo PCGS. CAC.
    PCGS Pop: (3/2).
    NGC Pop: (1/3).
    CAC Pop: (4/0).
    CDN CPG (Type): $1,810.
    CDN (Type): $1,450.
    CCDN (Type): $1,200.
    PCGS Price Guide: $5,000.

Garlicus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dima

Dima Member

PCGS Pop: (3/2) = PCGS population for this year/MM in this grade, and in higher grades.
    NGC Pop: (1/3). = NGC population, and population higher.
    CAC Pop: (4/0). = CAC population, and population higher.
    CDN CPG (Type): $1,810.
    CDN (Type): $1,450. = this TYPE (could be diff year/MM) in this grade, ballpark dealer asking price/selling price.
    CCDN (Type): $1,200. = this TYPE in this grade, ballpark dealer buying price.
    PCGS Price Guide: $5,000. = PCGS's price; usually based on some formula taking into account auctions, like HA.

I could be mistaken on the CDN/CCDN. Others will likely weigh in.

The $9k price isn't surprising. These are coins from a well known collection, carrying a very high grade, with minimal population graded higher, and CAC'd.

serafino, DEA, Garlicus and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dima

Dima Member

5. GoldFinger1969

What does MM stand for -- Mint Mark ?

Dima and Evan Saltis like this.
  6. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

yes

SensibleSal66 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  7. Dima

Dima Member

GoldFinger1969 and Evan Saltis like this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Dima is correct on most everything, the one they didn't explain (CDN CPG (Type): $1,810) is the price listing for the TYPE, not the specific date and mint, in the Coin Dealers Newsletters Collectors Price Guide.

The Coin Dealers Newsletter publishes several different price guides
    CDN or Graysheet (originally intended for wholesale pricing of RAW coins)
    CCDN or Bluesheet formal title is Certified Coin Dealer Newsletter (Intended for wholesale pricing of certified coins)
    CDN CPG CDN's price guide for collectors, it is supposed to tell collectors what they should pay dealers for coins (retail)

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  9. GoldFinger1969

C101, I noticed that for the bulk of HA stuff, it appears tha the TOTAL COST (incl. S&H, taxes, BP) takes the price/cost up to the middle of that range they give which is consistent with recent FMV.

Would you agree (I assume you are familiar with HA) ?

For some stuff, I'd say maybe 30%, it goes to the bottom of the range (or just below it) or OVER the top of that range (esp. for rare coins for registry sets).

At least that's my impression from watching/participating in dozens of auctions the last 18 months.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You would probably do better to ask someone else. I am familiar with Heritage but have almost never bid with. Maybe 5 times over the past 40 years. They for the most part don't carry what interests me, and I also only buy raw coins. They don't do many raw coins anymore. I am also not that interested in prices. When I buy I pay what I think is fair and that I can afford. I don't usually figure in BP, taxes or shipping. I just consider that to be part of the "handling fee" to get the coin and don't figure it in to what I am willing to pay. I also don't pay much attention to price guides so rarely know what they think is FMV.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  11. GoldFinger1969

Conder, I see many who agree with you especially on trophy or registry coins....but for coins they would LIKE but are not bidding to WIN AT ALL COSTS, they are more sensitive to total cost including bp, S&H, taxes, fees, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted