Underrated Coin Sets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Darbtalion, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Darbtalion

Darbtalion New Member

As some of you might know, I like Peace Dollars. I am looking into working on a new coin set and wanted to get some feedback from members about silver coin series that are undervalue and where some members find their information to make that determination.

I saw another thread that Washington Quarters are low at the this time but wanted to see if anyone had any others they might recommend.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Common Roosevelt Dimes, even in the mid MS condition can be bought around silver melt.
    That's a bargain.....

Darbtalion likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Just my personal opinion but I have always thought the Liberty Seated Dimes to be an under rated series. Many are available in the fine range very reasonably. There are, of course, some very tough dates in this series but overall a nice venture into a classic silver series.

Mainebill, longshot and Darbtalion like this.
  5. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

@Rheingold is correct. You can put together almost an entire set of silver Roosevelt dimes for little to no premium in unc.
    A Franklin set is also an easy one to put together. Only a few dates that will cost you a little bit of money, depending on condition. You could get most dates in UNC for less than $20 and can probably get the “tougher” dates for no more than $50...depending on condition.
    Washington quarters is a longer set and can get expensive when it comes to early dates.
    A short set of Merc dimes can be put together in UNC for a small premium.
    Walkers would need to be done in circulated grades to keep them affordable. Even later dates in unc can be a little bit expensive.

Darbtalion likes this.
  6. bsowa1029

War nickels is another quick and cheap one to do in unc. And they do contain some silver.

Santinidollar and Darbtalion like this.
  7. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

bsowa1029 and Darbtalion like this.
  8. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

35%

Darbtalion likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You'll get lots of collecting ideas and what is undervalued or underrated. This does not mean price adjustments in the future so I go with the saying, just collect what you like!

Mike185 and bsowa1029 like this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Brilliant advice - everyone should follow this!

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

"Undervalued" often equates to "unpopular." People call something undervalued either because it used to be higher valued (like Washington Quarters), or because they think it should be higher valued, or because they think it should be more popular.

Trying to chase market trends, speculate on what will be hot in a couple of years, and buy so-called "undervalued" coins is a fool's errand. You might get it right and it might become popular. You might get it wrong and loose even more money.

I could give you a list of half a dozen series that I think are "undervalued" or "currently unpopular", but I won't. Because I think there are better ways to approach collecting.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And the best part: they're ALL common!

When I was a little kid just starting in the hobby (late 60s/early 70s), there were a few Roosevelt dimes that commanded a premium. (1949-S comes to mind.) At this point, though, I think I've found every date in melt-value lots.

13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I always liked type sets, then either doing first or last year of issue for the coin.
    I have never been a date collector - even as a kid. Just buy what is attractive and interesting. Become an expert in your area.

Paul M. and -jeffB like this.
  14. -jeffB

I like that. Still thinking maybe someday I'll have a 1916 SLQ...

TheFinn likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Thank you!

16. Darbtalion

Darbtalion New Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I don't purchase silver coins to make money but to build out sets and I don't want to pay over top dollar for a set that is currently "spiking" or "in favor" as premiums tend to go down after a year or two from peak hype.

Honestly, there isn't anything like purchasing a group of coins over a month and having a beer, photographing, inventorying, and determining the grade of the coins, picking out the favorites.

17. bsowa1029

You are correct

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Many sleeper dates in each of the Seated series.
    [dimes, quarters & half dollars]..

look up the 1883 Seated quarter: mintage 15,439, cost/value in fine-12 is $450.

19. -jeffB

That's a sleeper for sure, but... there's no guarantee a sleeper will ever wake up.

The whole First Spouse Gold series is full of sleepers, with plenty of mintages well under 5000, but still trading at little premium over melt. In fact, they're so far under the radar that I can't find final mintage figures for the last few issues. Most of the sites reporting mintages just sort of lost interest before the series even got to its end.

With each coin containing half an ounce of gold (expensive base price), their collecting base is always going to be limited. As non-circulating coinage, they just aren't very interesting to many collectors. I don't see the series taking off during my lifetime, and probably not during my children's lifetimes -- and I'm not sure anyone will even remember the series after that.

Draft saved Draft deleted