Under what circumstances would you buy a problem coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Omegaraptor, May 1, 2016.

?

What circumstances?

1. Never

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Only if I really needed it for my collection

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Only if it was really cheap

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. If the problem is minor enough

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Yes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. Other (comment)

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Well, under what circumstances have you purchased and/or wanted a problem coin?

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

If you buy a coin with a problem you'll ALWAYS have a coin with a problem.
    AND
    Since I'm into NGC Registry Sets I would have a coin that would add no value to a set.

I'll do without rather than add a problem coin to a Registry Set.

oval_man likes this.
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Under the circumstance referred to as "I want it." :)

6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Guess this question goes to the heart of the individual collector and how he uses available funds for his collection.

As far as I am concerned, I see no reason to spend tight dollars on a problem coin.

oval_man likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

For me, really cheap.

9. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

If there was an 1829 Curl Base 2 Dime unattributed on Ebay for $20.00 but it was a problem coin, I'd go for it.

10. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Generally I won't buy a coin that looks to have been tampered with. A bit of circulation damage, maybe a light toned over scratch or a light edge bump...just part of the coin doing its job... may not bother me too much if the coin is priced correctly.

11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If the price reflects the worth of the coin and it is otherwise nice, I will buy a problem coin. Take this one for example, I paid well below what the market price would be if it were a righteous coin. I posted a thread about this coin and I'm not sure if anyone nailed what NGC called the problem. Though, I will admit that NGC called this one correctly, it is still plenty nice, was from a pretty famous collection, I like it and most importantly, the price was right. image.jpg image.jpg

saltysam-1 likes this.
  12. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Depends on what kind of problem the coin has. I would never buy a holed coin. I would be glad to buy a coin with hairlines or cleaning signs if its for a good price.

13. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I have an original perfect die from a 1992 1Lb. silver bullion piece. Only 1000 were struck. I would fight tooth and nail for a round struck from it. I will know soon as it is maturing on eBay momentarily.

Nailed it for $under $25 an ounce. Complete with paper work and original box. This combined with the die should easily double or triple my money. I'll never know for sure since it will go to my two children as part of their inheritance. It will probably need a dipping to remove some unwanted blemishes and toning, but the die is the heavy weight item in this set.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  14. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

It depends on all the things you've listed, and more. What's the problem? What's the coin? What's the price? How long have I been looking for this coin? Do I think there's a better one available? I'm never buying a 1957 Wheat cent with any kind of problem for more than a cent, unless it's got some other, incredible quality that overrides the problem. For something truly rare, I'd completely overlook a minor problem like an old, light cleaning.

I should add that there's a difference between buying a problem coin and buying a coin in a problem slab. Sometimes PCGS, NGC, and all the others get it wrong.

joecoincollect likes this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yeah... I would hope so, but if such a million-to-one was the only way you would, in the future, buy problems, you're essentially saying that you won't buy them at all and for any reason.

Perhaps a better question to ask would be under what circumstance would one add a problem coin to their personal collection, and what conditions would they find acceptable. What one person finds acceptable can easily be unacceptable to the next guy, and this includes coins residing in graded plastic. Unfortunately, the problem/no-problem line is all too often colored gray.

Another thing to considsr is the fact that, like it or not, problem coins can be profitable, and at times even more than their acceptable counterparts, so even those unwilling to own them are sometimes perfectly happy buying to resell.

Jaelus and Paul M. like this.
  17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Something rare and unusual. Like 18th c copper with porosity. Or early silver or gold with a light cleaning or old toned over scratch. Same for a key date or a questionable grade I think I can crack and get a straight one I've bought quite a few detail graded coins and got a straight grade upon resubmission usually was a cleaning I disagreed with or questionable color

Santinidollar and Paul M. like this.
  18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If the proverbial "steal of the century" presented itself to any of us as a problem coin, my guess is that many of us would go for it. I also doubt that many of us will run into that situation.

I read the OP's question to cover more standard operating procedure. And mine is not to spend on a problem coin. However, I always have my eyes open enough in case I see lightning in a bottle.

19. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I agree with Mainebill.

Mainebill likes this.
  20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Would I buy a small eagle half or quarter with a problem. Oh yea. For that matter any bust or flowing hair coin if the price was right and the problem wasn't too major

21. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I voted "yes" because it doesn't answer the question and I love being obtuse.

Draft saved Draft deleted