Under siege by Genghis Khan

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

This recent purchase was inexpensive, but it has a lot of history behind it.
    siege.jpg
    Khwarezmshahs. "Malik of Kurzuwan." AE jital (3.5 g, 19 mm). Obverse: "Al-Malik" (The King) in center, surrounded by date Rabi' II 618 AH (=May-June 1221 AD). Reverse: Kalima (standard Islamic religious legend) in three lines. Typical weak strike. Album 1971, Tye 324.1, Wilkes 1965. This coin: Bought from @John Anthony , ex @arnoldoe collection.

The Khwarezmshahs or Khwarezm Dynasty were a major power in Persia and Central Asia from the late 11th to early 13th centuries AD. The dynasty was originally of Turkic origin but adapted Persian culture. Their last powerful ruler, Ala ad-Din Muhammad, took power in 1200 AD and defeated two other major states, the Kharakhanids and the Ghorids, greatly increasing his own territory. By around 1220, the Khwarezm domains were quite extensive:
    Khwarezmian_Empire_1190_-_1220_(AD).PNG
    (map taken from Wikipedia under a Creative Commons license)

Yes, clearly everything was going well for the Khwarezmshahs, and nothing could possibly go wrong. At least until they met one man:
    Genghis_khan.jpg
    (image: public domain)

This man, born as Temujin around 1162 AD, was later known as Chinghiz Khan (usually rendered in English as Genghis Khan). He became overall leader (Great Khan) of the Mongol Empire and led their rapid expansion across Asia. In 1218 AD, he sent a trade mission to the Khwarezm domains. However, the governor of the town of Otrar branded the ambassadors as spies, confiscated their goods, and executed them. Genghis Khan demanded reparations, which Ala ad-Din Muhammad refused to pay. Genghis Khan reacted in his usual fashion: launching a massive military campaign and killing huge numbers of people. In 1219 he destroyed the major Khwarezm city of Bukhara, and in 1220 the capital of Samarkand. Ala ad-Din Muhammad fled, pursued by a small Mongol force, and died on a small island in the Caspian Sea shortly afterwards. The Mongols proceeded to capture and destroy other cities in the former Khwarezm lands, including the city of Kurzuwan in 1221.

Steve Album, in his Checklist of Islamic Coins, notes that this "is one of the very few identifiable 'siege coins' of the Islamic world", having been issued apparently while the city was besieged by the Mongols. The identity of the Malik named on the coin is unclear; possibly a local leader assessing the title in the wake of Ala ad-Din Muhammad's death. The coin is weakly struck, and not especially interesting aesthetically, but the history behind this piece makes it seem an absolute bargain at the $15 I paid for it. Please post your related coins.

Sulla80, Orielensis, Neal and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you for the great write-up and the wonderful coin @Parthicus !

I only have one from the Great Kahn:
    upload_2018-12-2_16-28-52.png
    Great Mongols, Genghis (Chingiz) Khan,
    AH 603-624/ AD 1206-1227,
    AE Jital (4.12gm, 2h),
    Ghazna type, undated, citing Genghis as Khaqan and
    citing on the reverse, the 'Abbasid caliph al-Nasir. O: 'adl / khaqan / al-a'zam("the Just and Supreme Khaqan" or "Just [coin] of the Supreme Khaqan"). R: al-Nasir / li-Din Allah / amir al-mu- / -minin ("al-Nasir li-Din Allah, commander of the faithful").
    SICA-9, 1008; Tye 329; Album 1969

Neal, Quant.Geek, Ryro and 9 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wonderful writeup, Parthicus!

I'd love to have that coin and the one shown by @Alegandron-- what a great pairing!

Ryro, Curtisimo and Alegandron like this.
  5. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Great coin and write-up! Here are my two Khwarezmians:

Kurzuwan 2.png
    Ala ad-Din Muhammad II, Khwarezmian Empire, BI Jital, 1200–1220 AD, Kurzuwan mint. Obv: Elephant standing right, mint name above. Rev: Kalima or regent's name (?). 14 mm, 2.19g. Ref: Tye 229.

Kurzuwan 1.png

Ala ad-Din Muhammad II, Khwarezmian Empire, AE Jital, 1200–1220 AD, Kurzuwan mint. Obv: "Kurzuwan" in circle, legend around "As-sultan al-azam Muhammad bin as-sultan". Rev: Kalima. 16mm, 2.49g. Ref: Tye 246.

Quant.Geek, Ryro, panzerman and 7 others like this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great write up @Parthicus ! Coins related to the mongols are always super interesting. I don't have any coins to add but this thread needs a bump!

After all we can hardly complain that the board is clogged with authentication requests and "what's it worth" threads if we can't even keep the quality posts on the front page for a reasonable amount of time :eek:

7. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Here you are, another great Mongol coin. A "Jou" issued under Mönke Khan.
    The name Mönke in Arab in the middle line of the side shown on the left.
    JouMongkeW.jpg

chrsmat71, Quant.Geek, Ryro and 7 others like this.
  8. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

I still have this one..
    [​IMG]

and another from another city which was also destroyed by the Mongols..
    also i just noticed i have the reverse picture upside down.
    upload_2018-12-4_3-47-27.png
    AR Dirham
    Ghazna Mint AD 1200-1220
    Album 1714?
    4.6g 29 mm

chrsmat71, Quant.Geek, Ryro and 7 others like this.
  9. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Very interesting coins and period of history.

Are there any figural coins of the Great Khan or are they all limited to inscriptions?

John

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Some coins issued under the rule of Chengis Khan show simple graphical symbols.
    There are no portrait coins. The nicest pictorial coin was issued under Töregene Khatun. She was the widow of Ögedei Khan, the son of Chengis. She was regent for some years and had nice silver coins issued with an archer on horseback.

Theodosius likes this.
  11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Great coin, writeup Parthicus. I love all the history behind these neat coins:)
    I have this Ilkhans of Persia example

AV Dinar AH 732 Bayburt Mint
    Abu Sa'id 1316-35AD
    12-14 examples known from small hoard all from same dies. 2b51ee0746e72d828b80585c80eeabef.jpg

12. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

A coin with a realistic portrait of Chengis scowling at us across the centuries would be really cool. :)

Alegandron and panzerman like this.
  13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

There really are no nice coins from Genghiz Khan known, all are very poor minting quality. The later Ilkanate coinage was much better designed/ struck. Just like the Islamic coinage/ Mongol coins never had portraits:( At least not until Naseridin of Persia in late 1800s.

Alegandron likes this.
  14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I remember this sequence of events from my Central Asian history class at Berkeley. Great write up @Parthicus !!!

15. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Very nice post! The conquest of Central Asia by the Mongols had a ever lasting effect in the region that still resonates til today. Totally changed the demographics of the area.

There are two versions of this particular coin that varies based on the minting date. One that was dated Rabi II (May/June 1221), and one dated Jumada I (June/July 1221). The city fell during Jumada I. The second coin is more scarcer that the common Rabi II.

Khwarezmshahs: Malik of Kurzuwan (May-June 1221) Æ Jital, Kurzuwan (Album-1971; Tye-324.2; Nyamaa-31)

Obv: Arabic inscription around margin with date and month; تاريخ ربيع الآخرسنة ثمان عشروستمائة (dated to Rabi II, of the year 618); in center, الملك‎ (al-Malik)
    Rev: Mint and Kalima in four lines; ○ كرزوان لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول ○ الله (Kurzuwan; There is no God but Allah; Muhammad is the apostle of Allah)

[​IMG]

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Here he is on my 1000 Tugrik: :) He had a wicked 'stache then...

upload_2018-12-4_14-55-38.png
    Mongolia 1999 1000 Tugriks 7.76g 586gold Diamond Eyed Tiger 0.1 karat MC-001GLH0270

17. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Great write up about some interesting coins and their fascinating history!

Draft saved Draft deleted