Uncut sheets of 4 $2 bills in folder

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Teddydogno1, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I picked up a collection of coins and bills from a seller on Craig's List. It was a total face value of $53 for $60. The coins are an incomplete set of Statehood Quarters and incomplete set of Presidential dollar coins. Also included were two "folders" each with a 4-subject sheet of uncirculated $2 bills. Both are San Francisco Series 2003A and don't have particularly interesting serial numbers. There was also one more uncirculated Series 2003A bill from Cleveland and one circulated Chicago bill.

I know that run of the mill circulated $2 bills are worth face value only. Is there any extra value in the single uncirculated bill (in a small holder)? I've also seen the 4-subject sheets for sale at $22 to $25, but do they actually SELL at that? All of these are in folders from the "World Reserve Monetary Exchange" (which seems to me at first glance to be possible a shady character).

I was surprised that the bills are NOT sequentially numbered. Rather they have the same first several digits and last several digits and vary in the middle 2 places.

Thanks for any thoughts. I can post pics tonight if anyone is interested.

Rob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinsearcher83

coinsearcher83 New Member

Well, 2009 sheets of 4 notes is sold at $22.50 by the BEP ( http://www.moneyfactorystore.gov/2currencysheetsbeptestsheet.aspx ), and likely lose value as soon as they are sold.

A quick search on Heritage shows that 2003A sheets have been sold at about the same price, but I assume those you have don't have the original BEP folders, so might not reach the same value. (I just found a couple sheets on Heritage that sold for WAY less without the folders.)

About the serial numbering, an example I found had the serials increase by 17,000 every note on the 4-subject sheets. $2 bills are printed in 32-subject sheets. So this tells me that the print run was of 32 x 17,000 = 544,000 notes. They are printed like this for the ease of cutting and dividing sequential notes into straps.

If a note in one sheet has a serial # 45909000, the same position in the next sheet printed will have serial # 45909001, and so on, the same for all 32 subjects on the sheet.

Thus, to have a strap of 100 notes, all that would have to be done is stack 100 printed sheets on top of each other and cut the sheet into its 32 different subjects. The result would actually be 32 straps of 100 notes each. (This is a major simplification of the process, mostly because I just learned how horrible I am at explaining things :arghh: ).

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

5. coinsearcher83

coinsearcher83 New Member

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Missed that. Sorry.

coinsearcher83 likes this.
  7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Off hand, all the coins and paper currency sound like they are regular items. Unless something in there grades extremely high, I don't think you or the seller gained anything. IMHO.

8. Teddydogno1

Agreed. Wasn't trying to make a killing, but I thought that the uncut sheets of $2 would be worth enough over FV to make up the $7. But I also thought the quarter and dollar collector books would be a good intro to collecting for my 7 year old daughter. He was selling because they were for his daughter, now 17, who didn't want them anymore but did want some money for an upcoming trip.

There is one other possible small bright spot...the Presidential Dollars were on "subscription" and the seller had moved, so he stopped getting them. He gave me all of the paperwork and original order so I could TRY to get the sub reinstated and maybe get the missing and future coins.

Rob

9. Teddydogno1

Draft saved Draft deleted