Uncut sheets.....bargain or fake/copies?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by marbury518, Jul 26, 2021.

1. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

I won these last night in the US but think I may have been fooled. The colours don't look vibrant and bright on the Tallahassee Rail example..... please help......NOT PAID YET..........

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

My Tallahassee Railroad sheet for comparison. Mine is darker, but that could be the scanner setting. I paid over $700 for mine. What did the lot sell for @marbury518 ? I would need to see it in person to form and educated opinion.

5A9D2257-6FD4-4D6A-937D-66CFE3FCC958.jpeg 49737065-09FD-421A-BAD1-5F7EBE762FF2.jpeg

4. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Your sheet has distinct marks on the outer margins on the paper....dots and dashes, probably to help with setting.......my example has none...would that be fair comment as something indicative of a copy not on original paper?

5. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

If it is on banknote paper, there is a chance it is real. If it is on "parchment" type paper, it is almost certainly fake. Back in the 50's and 60's, it was quite common to see modern copies. None were marked "copy" because the law did not yet require that.

coolhandred24 and midas1 like this.
  6. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Yes but all the originals i have checked up on today have the setting marks....so the printed notes are properly aligned......my example has none at all.......in addition to the faded green............even ones in very rough condition have deep vibrant green.....mine does not.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Dragnet time, put on your detective hat. Enquiring minds want to know!

love old coins and Stevearino like this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If you are speaking of registration marks, these are not usually on every set of notes but are spaced out. Very similar to coil stamp line pairs. It sometimes depends upon how large the original sheets were before they were cut down. I am not familiar with this issue so I cannot say for sure how the registration marks should look here. I'll leave that to the experts.

john65999 likes this.
  9. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

I go back to my earlier point.....those looking original have deliberate marks on the margins on the paper....my example has nothing at all. Who the experts are I have no idea.....hope they arrive soon!

10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Until you can see and handle the paper you won't know for sure.

Stevearino likes this.
  11. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Notes sold in Iowa and I live in the UK.....so paying for fakes or possible fakes doesn't appeal. How I would know even when they arrive, no idea.

12. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Auction house said they came from a reputable banknote dealer who knows the difference between genuine and fakes.........so I am going to pay and they will go to PMG........and will let yuo guys know the result.

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

They have the last word…LOL

14. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I'm intrigued by old note designs like these, but they seem too easily duplicated. Dad always told me..."Never buy anything you don't understand".

15. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

i don't think so........they will go to PMG and if fake they will be returned...more snide remarks on this forum than 10 years ago.

16. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I didn't see any remarks that I'd consider snide. Was it @mpcusa's comment?

Steve

17. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

18. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Good luck @marbury518 with the purchase and the grading. Please keep us posted on the results.

19. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Many thanks.......

20. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

If the banknotes are fakes does the auction house
    have to reimburse the buyer?

21. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I had something like that earlier this year. In a lot of 13 foreign coins was a counterfeit 4 reales. The auction house offered to reimburse what I paid, but wanted me to send back all 13. I figured I wasn't out much and planned to sell the authentic 12 on ebay...which I did and doubled my money.

The real kicker is that I sold the counterfeit for double what an authentic one would've have brought! Found someone that collected counterfeits!

I hope the Iowa auction house will stand behind your purchase IF they turn out to be fakes. Otherwise, I like your notes and hope you'll be satisfied also.

Steve

George McClellan and midas1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted