Uncommonly nice penny

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by MeowtheKitty, Jul 19, 2019.

1. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow has found this uncommonly nice penny CRH. It is almost proof like nice. Could this be some kind of special penny?
    WIN_20190719_13_11_34_Pro.jpg WIN_20190719_13_11_22_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice business strike. Maybe came from a Philly mint set? Or it was just lucky enough to avoid most of 28 years of circulation.

4. MeowtheKitty

Meow did not know that mint set pennies where this nice. This has a near mirror finish. Really stands out form other pennies.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

6. MeowtheKitty

That is a bit hard to say. As that picture is taken through cellophane, and not quite close up as enough. But it does look very nice. Meow does not own mint sets of that era so cant say for sure. But it must be from a recently broken up mint set, as this penny is just way to nice to be normal.

7. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

That is nicer than mint set cent, I cut one out just to photograph. for ya. the newer ones are better quality I think. also depends on the set mine has a lot of lines, scrapes? looks better with my bad eyesight than when I take a picture and blow it up. IMG_20190719_183417642.jpg
    IMG_20190719_183336802.jpg

Inspector43 and MeowtheKitty like this.
  8. MeowtheKitty

Wow, you did that just for Meow?????? That's really going out of your way for a Cat, thanks. Meow would say that Meow's penny is much nicer than this one. It does not have nearly as much lines on it. It does have some very hard to see ones in spots, but Meow thinks it is from the planchet. Like a very faint natural grain.

9. Autoturf

Looks better in the bag, lol.
    IMG_20190719_184358531.jpg

furryfrog02 likes this.
  10. MeowtheKitty

Also the penny meow found has a bit more better defined and squared rim.

Autoturf likes this.
  11. MeowtheKitty

Yea it does. Why is that? cello act like a filter?
    They look like they have a satin finish too. well, at least in the cello.

12. Autoturf

Its not going out of my way, its being used for demonstration , its more than it does sitting in a chest.

Inspector43 and Mernskeeter like this.
  13. Autoturf

I dunno, but the camera sure finds all the flaws.

14. MeowtheKitty

Well thanks no matter the reason. And some say we have unhelpful dumb members just looking out for themselves. That for sure cant be said about you. Thanks just for being so good to a Cat.

Inspector43 and Autoturf like this.
  15. Autoturf

Ill trade coins :). thanks for the kind words.

16. Autoturf

I have a lot of mint sets, just preserve them sometimes what people want for a single coin, you can just buy a set and be done with it. have extras.

17. MeowtheKitty

Oh, in a penny related bit of Cat hoarding news. Meow as the hoarding Cat that Meow is, has been saving all the copper pennies Meow finds. And yes, Meow has read here what a waste of time that is. But to hoard anything is joy, so...…...
    Anyway, Meow has been putting them neatly in rows in this 30cal ammo can. After a year and a half of CRH, it is almost full. Meow just needs to find about 30 more copper pennies. Meow can also calculate how many are in there too, and will do so after Meow has a snack and share the number.

18. MeowtheKitty

Meow would guess you can get a lot of them in a lot for cheap. Meow is quite sure the overproduce the heck out of those.

19. Autoturf

lol, yea, my worthless hoarding of coins makes me happy, eventually I want to do Kennedy halves, so Ill have a head start. instead of starting from ground zero.

Inspector43 and Mernskeeter like this.
  20. furryfrog02

I used to hoard copper cents back when I started CRHing. I had about $300 F/V in my garage before I decided it was too much and dumped it all. Put that money towards more CRH funds and probably made more than I would have had I just held onto the copper cents.
    But hey, to each their own. You do what makes you happy :)

Autoturf likes this.
  21. Autoturf

One man was on the news and bought a house with his pennies he saved for 50 years.

Mernskeeter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted