Uncommon Denominations, Greek, Roman, Byzantine

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, Apr 29, 2020.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Most of us who collect in the area of ancients wind up with coins that are usually of the most common denominations. If we collect Greek we have a large number of drachmas. If we collect Roman we have a number of denarii and if Byzantine, many folles. But as we all know, over the course of time Greek city-states and monarchies, the Roman Republic and Empire and the Eastern or Byzantine Empire produced a smaller number of coins in what for them were often irregular or unusual or uncommon denominations, often for a specific reason which when no longer required coins of that value suspended further issue, perhaps for good or maybe until another unusual occurrence. I have here a few such issues of denominations that were for one reason or other a bit uncommon for their eras. I am sure many of you have a few other denominations which were uncommon at the time they were issued for whatever reason. Share some of yours with us and, if you know why theses coins were unusual, why that might have been so.

The first coin I have here is a coin which in value was quite unusual for the Greek city-states, except for Corinth and her colonies. It is, of course a stater, but what makes it unusual is that the staters of Corinth and her colonies were of three drachmas, not two or four which were the norm for other Greeks. That makes this coin a TRIdrachma, an uncommon denomination. This one is just under 9 grams and is similar to Sear 2626 and is early to mid Fourth century BC.

The second small silver is a quinarius of the Roman Republic. It features the head of Apollo on the obverse and on the reverse a trophy set up to honor the twin victories of Marius over the Cimbri and the Teutones. The moneyer was Gaius Egnattuleius and was minted ca. 97 BC. It weighs just under 1.7 grams and is, of course a half denarius. Judging from finds, the silver quinarius and the even rarer silver sestertius, were swamped by the numbers of denarii in circulation at the time. Notice the Q on the reverse indicating its five asses value. This coin is Sear 213

The third, a large bronze, is a Double Sestertius of Postumus from ca. 261 AD. Certainly the brass sestertius of the Roman empire was a very common coin, but by the time of the Gallic usurper the double denarius had plummeted in value, and made the bronze sestertius actually worth more in value. By 270 or so they were so valuable as metal that the mints stopped producing them. Postumus simply doubled the value of the older sestertii by putting his radiate head on the coin and announced that they were now double sestertii. Many of these double sestertius coins (not mine, I don't think) were actually worn sestertii of second century emperors restruck for Postumus at the new value. He did issue the one sestertius coin at a greatly reduced weight. This one, probably newly minted at the new denomination, weighs a little over 16 grams, about the weight of the old dupondius of a hundred years earlier. The reverse shows Mercury with a legend pointing out that it honors the shrine of Mercury set up at DEVSONIENSI on the Rhine, modern Deutz.

The last coin is of the Byzantine Empire issued by Theofilus ca. 835 AD. It is unusual for being from the mint of Syracuse at a time when the Byzantines were hanging onto it by their finger tips. The denomination is neither a solidus nor the more common tremissis but the unusual semissis or half solidus. It weighs 17.4 grams but also, unusually, it is not 24 carat gold but a somewhat debased 18 carats, indicating that the fortunes of the Byzantines were in temporary eclipse. It is Sear 1672 or one of the immediately following ones.

So if you have some uncommonly issued denominations of ancient coinage why not post them here and tell us about them.

IMG_1354[5286]Uncommon denominations obv.jpg IMG_1355[5290]Uncommon dmominations rev..jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Claudius 11

Claudius 11 Active Member

Would be nice if someone would post a photo of denominations of ancients in mm. Have one regarding Roman coins or a link to such info would be helpful to newbies like me. Nice write up.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great writeup, @kevin McGonigal , and yeah, cool denominations are kinda fun.

Since I enjoy collecting various Roman Republic coins, I never felt that Quinarii or REAL Sestertii (AR!) were unusual for me. :D

I do collect Quinarii, but do not have a huge number of them...

Here are a few for fun:

QUINARIUS

Pre-Reform of 211 BCE:

I like Kenneth Harl's arguments on the Denarius Pre-Reform of 211 BCE. This coin may had been called a "Drachm" but it was tarriffed at 5 Asses. Which, is a Quinarius. Same with the Roman DiDrachm, which was Tarriffed at 10 Asses or is a Denarius.
    upload_2020-4-29_14-49-28.png
    Roman Republic
    Anon Ca 240 BCE
    AR Heavy Quinarius Drachm (5 Asses)
    16mm 3.0g Rome
    Helmet Hd of Mars r -
    Horse’s hd sickle
    Cr 25-2 Syd 25 RSC 34a VeryRare

POST 211 REFORM

upload_2020-4-29_14-54-1.png
    Roman Republic
    Anon after 211 BCE
    AR Quinarius 2.12g (5 Asses)
    Helmeted hd Roma -
    Dioscuri riding
    Cr 68-2b was 44-6 RSC 3
    ex Clain-Stefanelli

SESTERTIUS

upload_2020-4-29_14-55-56.png
    Roman Republic
    AR Sestertius
    After 211 BCE
    12mm 1.0g
    Rome mint
    Roma r IIS - (2 Asses and a Semis or 2-1/2 Asses - the ORIGINAL definition and derivative of the word Sestertius)
    Dioscuri riding stars in ex ROMA
    Sear 46 Craw 44-7 RSC 4

QUINCUNX

The Romans tarriffed the As at 12 Unciae. Some Italians tarriffed the As at 10 Unciae. This denomination may had helped Rome facilitate everyday trade with Italians. HOWEVER, this one is actually a Roman 5/12th of an As:

(I have a few other versions, but this is the hard one to find)

They only made these for a year or so... Gee, I wonder why...?
    upload_2020-4-29_15-2-50.png
    Roman Republic
    Anon 210 BCE
    AE 23 Quincunx (5/12th of an As)
    6.96g
    Apollo P behind
    Dioscuri
    Luceria
    5 pellets
    Craw 99-4 Syd 309 Sear 910 Very Rare

5. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

650A8C64-B998-460F-88AA-A422FFBD72BE.jpeg

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's my double sestertius. Not exactly eye-pleasing but it is what it is. It almost certainly was overstruck on a flan of a second century sestertius.

Postumus, Gallic usurper

A.D. 260

Ӕ Double Sestertius, 31mm 24.3 grams

Obverse: L IMP C M CASS LAT POSTVMUVS P F AVG; radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: P M TR P COS II PP S C; Emperor helmeted in military attire stg. l.; holding globe and spear.

Reference: RIC V Lugdunum 106

postsest3.jpg

postsest4.jpg

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The coin shows Hercules (rather than Mercury) as indicated by the legend HERC DEVSONIENSI. Your has the E quite clear as opposed to mine lacing most of the legend.
    rr1890bb0120.jpg

I believe most of these were overstruck but most are on flans flattened by hammering befor restriking which erased detail. This one has a clear 'shadow' of Antoninus Pius behind Postumus. I wish I could ID the reverse of the undertype.
    rr1912bb3190.jpg

My 1998 page on the subject is not as classy as the DOC plate but has explanatory text as well as images sized with the inclusion of a US cent. Here I post just one.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/denom.html
    [​IMG]

Left to Right: Nero sestertius 22.6g c.65 AD; Domitian dupondius 11.9g 85AD; Nero as 11.1g c.65 AD; Domitian semis 4.6g 85 AD; Trajan quadrans 3.5g 98-117 AD

8. kevin McGonigal

Great selection of uncommon denominations, especially the quincunx. Thanks for posting that one.

Alegandron likes this.
  9. kevin McGonigal

Nice way to classify them.

10. kevin McGonigal

Oh, fui. I just noticed that I wrote Mercury instead of Hercules which is, of course the correct demi-god.

11. Alegandron

I have a few more:

QUINCUNX:

upload_2020-4-29_20-9-26.png
    Teate, Apulia, Italy, 225 - 220 B.C.
    Bronze quincunx, BMC Italy p. 146, 9; HN Italy 702a; SNG ANS 744 var., SNG Cop 689 var., SNG BnF 1421 var., SNG Tub 378 var. (all var. no control letter), F, porous, scratches, 12.511g, 26.5mm, 0o, Teate mint, head of Athena right, wearing crested Corinthian helmet; reverse TIATI, owl standing right, head facing, closed wings, K (control letter) right, five pellets (mark of value) in exergue ; very rare
    Ex: Ancient Forum Coins
    Apulia, one of the richest archaeological regions in Italy, was first colonized by Mycenaean Greeks. Apulia was an important area for the Romans, who conquered it during the course of wars against the Samnites and against Pyrrhus in the 4th and 3rd centuries B.C. but also suffered a crushing defeat there in the battle of Cannae against Hannibal. However, after the Carthaginians left the region, the Romans captured the ports of Brindisi and Taranto, and established dominion over the region.

upload_2020-4-29_20-10-3.png
    Larinum (Frentani), ca. 210-175 BC, bronze quincunx, 22mm, 9.80g
    Obverse: Head of Mars (or Athena, per Sear) in crested Corinthian helmet r.
    Reverse: Horseman galloping l., holding spear and shield decorated with thunderbolt, LADINOD below, 5 pellets (denom.) in ex.
    Reference: NH Italy 625, Campania 4a, Morcom 64, BMC 2
    Grading: F , minor porosity, brown patina, very scarce
    Comment: Ex - Colin Pitchfork collection. Ex - Spink America auction (NY, Dec. 6-7 1999, lot 400 - part of). From a private collection formed by a pair of Polish brothers and sold in New York.
    Ex: Rudnck Numismatics

upload_2020-4-29_20-11-28.png
    Luceria, Apulia
    AE Quinqunx. 250-217 BC.
    Attribution:
    Grose 443; SNG Cop. 659 ; SNG München 498 (ACSearch showed SNG Cop and SNG Munchen and as before 217 BCE)
    Date: 250-217 BC (some others state 211-200 BCE for HN Italy 678; SNG ANS 699; Sear 587 ???)
    Obverse: Helmeted head of Athena right, five pellets above
    Reverse: 8-spoked wheel; LOVCERI between spokes)
    Size: 26.35mm
    Weight: 14.75 grams
    Ex: Ancient Imports

12. Alegandron

I understand that QUADRUNX are a little difficult to find from Italia:

QUADRUNX:

upload_2020-4-29_20-12-54.png
    APULIA, Luceria,
    211-200 BCE,
    AE Quadrunx. 9.79g, 24mm.
    Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion's skin headdress; four pellets behind.
    Rev: LOVCERI, Quiver, club and bow.
    SNG Copenhagen 660.
    From the @Justin Lee Lee collection.
    Ex: @Severus Alexander Ancient and Medieval Coins Canada Auction

13. kevin McGonigal

I don't think I have ever see this many quincunxes in one place in my whole life. how did you ever acquire the interest in these coins?

Severus Alexander and Alegandron like this.
  14. Alegandron

I also have several Quinarii. 5 has nothing to do with my collecting interest.

I developed an interest in Quincunx because of their unusual denomination. Since these were a disparity among many of the Italic Tribes having 10 Unciae vs. 12 Unciae to an As, the Romans still had to accommodate trade with their Italian neighbors. So, they created a Quincunx which was 5/12 of a Roman As.

15. Alegandron

@Suarez came up with this cool ERIC Denomination Rarity Table for Roman Imperial Coins:

Table 3 – Denomination Rarity
    In ascending order, from most common to rarest, excluding multiples and fractions:

1. AE4's (fourth and fifth century)
    2. AE3's and reduced Folles (fourth century)
    3. AE Antoninianus
    4. AE Folles (third and fourth century)
    5. AE2 (fourth century)
    6. AR Antoninianus
    7. AE As
    8. AR Denarius
    9. AE Dupondius
    10. AE Sestertius
    11. AE1 (fourth century)
    12. AR Siliqua
    13. AE Quadrans
    14. AU Solidus
    15. AU Tremissis
    16. AE Semis
    17. AR Argenteus
    18. AU Aureus
    19. AR Cistophoric Tetradrachms
    20. AU Semissis
    21. AR Miliarense
    22. AU Scripulum
    23. AR Quinarius
    24. AU Quinarius

16. Alegandron

Etrurian (Rasenna) coins are rather difficult to get. Here is a 2-1/2 As Coin (we are not sure what the name of the coin was in Rasenna.) I believe the Etrurians had their AR coin denominations before the Romans.

Here is a 2-1/2 As (similar to the AR Sestertius for the Romans)

upload_2020-4-29_22-39-8.png

Etruria or Rasenna in their language, Populonia (pronounced Fufluna)
    2-½ asses , AR 0.85 g. (It is not known what the Etrurian name is for this coin. They have not been able to decipher the Rasenna language.)
    3rd century BCE
    Obv: Radiate female head r.; behind, IIC (retrograde).
    Rev: Blank.
    Ref: EC 104 (misdescribed, Female head with an Attic helmet). Historia Numorum Italy 179.
    NAC Comment: Of the highest rarity, apparently only the SECOND specimen known. British museum is where the 2nd one resides
    Etrurian alphabet is read in retrograde. Rome’s AR Sestertius is IIS (2-Asses and a Semis). The Etrurian version is retrograde C and II.
    Ex: From the collection of E.E. Clain-Stefanelli.

Sorry, @kevin McGonigal , for flooding your Thread. I just love interesting niches in Ancient Collecting. It is fun to capture the different, rare, or unusual in anything. Generally, I collect Historically. However, fun denominations are very interesting.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  17. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Fractions with Denominational Marks
    A summary of David Wigg's article

In 312, Constantine defeated Maxentius and the mint in Rome began striking coins of the same standard as the Gallic mints. The follis was the standard type and it was minted at close to 1/72 libra (roughly 4.5 grams based on a Roman pound of 327 grams), and the size was roughly 21millimeters in diameter. The main reverse types were GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, MARTI CONSERVATORI, SOLI INVICTO COMITI, and SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI. Two fractionals were also struck at Rome during this period and both bear denominational marks.

paci.jpeg

virt.jpeg

"It will be argued here that the fractions with the XII and XVI marks form a departure from the denominational system of fractions previously struck at Rome, that the radiate crown was used on the coins in order to identify a new denomination, and that the numerals XII and XVI were intended to indicate the official values of the new coins expressed in denarii." The weights of these two coins suggest that they were intended to weigh 2/3 and 1/2 of the follis.

The follis is believed to have had a value of 25 denarii, but the marks of value on these fractionals suggest a value of 24 denarii for the follis.

The parallel use of 24 and 25 is a duodecimal and decimal system like the old English currency. The denominational marks of these fractionals suggests a value of not 25 denarii, but 24; 12 instead of 12 1/2, and 16 instead of 16 2/3. It was easier to count small change this way, and then convert to 25 units for larger amounts.

"When dealing with small numbers the duodecimal system proves more flexible as it provides a wider variety of subdivisions. But on the other hand the decimal system is more convenient for multiplication of larger numbers."

Diocletian's Edict of Prices also lends support to the theory that Romans used two systems for their monetary system. For small amounts up to 25 DC, the denarii communes is most frequently named as an even number-- 2, 4, 6, 8 etc. Beginning at 25 DC, increments of 5, and more commonly 10, are used. This chart stops at 100 DC, but the pattern of the decimal system continues with the exception of 116 (1) and 144 (1); and two half-decimal occurrences 175 (9) and 274 (4).

¹ this page is a summary of an excellent article by David Wigg.
    David G. Wigg, "An Issue of Follis Fractions with Denominational Marks by Constantine I at Rome," Die Münze. Bild- Botschaft- Bedeutung. Festschrift für Maria R. Alfoldi. Frankfort, Germany: Peter Lang, 1991, pp. 405-423.

² this data on Diocletian's Price Edict came from the following article:
    L. H. Cope, “Diocletian’s Price Edict and its Associated Coinage Denominations.” Schweizer Münzblätter 27 (1977) : 7-11.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/fractions/

18. Claudius 11

Claudius 11 Active Member

Ocat.
    Yes i have that poster what i was hoping for is someone posting a similar thing on Greek coins or indead Ancients

19. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

That is very interesting! I never thought that the Sestertii I focus on are in fact generally rarer than the other "classic" Roman denominations, Denarii, Asses and Dupondii.

Here are some additions to the list:

22. AE Double Sestertius (less rare than Scripulum or AR or AU Quinarii)
    26. AE Medallion (if one would consider that a denomination)
    27. AE Double Antoninianus
    28. AU Binio
    29. AU 1,5 Scripula
    30. AU Medallion
    31. AR Medallion

20. kevin McGonigal

Now that is helpful to this discussion.

21. Alegandron

Personally, my interest skew toward Roman Republic denominations. However, the preponderance of Roman collectors are in what I call “Modern” Romans, defined as CE, or Empire Romans featuring Emperors. I like mine as BCE, :D

ancient coin hunter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted