uncleaned coins - before and after

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by singig, Jul 8, 2020.

1. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Carus
    AE Antoninianus. Rome mint, struck under Carinus and/or Numerian, 283-285 AD. RIC 48
    DIVO CARO PERS(icvs), radiate head right / CONSECRATIO, eagle standing left, head right. Mintmark KA crescent A.
    21 mm / 2.8 g
    carus  (2).jpg carus-o2.jpg carus-r2.jpg

Tony1982, ominus1, finny and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to leave it as it is now and hope it would tone in time:

fausta4.jpg

4. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

A couple weeks ago I picked up a couple of Alexandrian tets that had seen better days (environmentally speaking, for the past two millennia), yet felt promising to be cleaned (can you guess the seller from the before pics?).

The first is a Philip, an emperor I didn't have in this provincial denomination...

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]
    Philip I, Ruled 244-249 AD
    BL Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria
    Dated RY 2, Struck 244-245 AD

Obverse: A K M IOV ΦIΛIΠΠOC ЄV CЄB, laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: Tyche standing left, holding cornucopia and rudder, LB (date) in upper left field.
    References: Emmett 3513
    Size: 21.5mm, 11.9g

Number two is also a tet with a little bit more historical interest attached—Aurelian with Vaballathus...

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]
    Aurelian, with Vaballathus, AD 270-275
    AE Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria

Dated RY 1 of Aurelian and RY 4 of Vaballathus, Struck 270/271 AD
    Obverse: AVT K Λ Δ AVPHΛIANOC CEB, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Aurelian right, date L-A in fields, RY 1.
    Reverse: IACO VABAΛΛAΘOC AΘHNO VA C P, laureate, diademed, and draped bust of Vaballathus right, wearing paludamentum and cuirass; L-Δ across field, RY 4.
    References: Emmett 3914
    Size: 20mm, 8.1g

Another coin that I did a little "touching up" on from a different seller was listed very incorrectly—a Maiorina of Gratian—but I could easily tell that it was a sestertius of Trebonianus Gallus...

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]
    Trebonianus Gallus, Ruled 251-253 AD
    AE Sestertius, Struck 251-253 AD, Rome

Obverse: IMP CAES C VIBIVS TREBONIANVS GALLVS AVG, laureate bust draped, cuirassed, right.
    Reverse: PIETAS AVGG, Pietas, veiled, draped, standing left, raising both hands; to left, altar; S-C in fields.
    References: RIC IV 117
    Size: 32mm, 20.0g

Tony1982, DonnaML, ominus1 and 3 others like this.
  5. singig

singig Well-Known Member

three nice coins !
    zurqieh_dubai ?

DonnaML, ominus1 and Justin Lee like this.
  6. Justin Lee

That's the one! Lol

DonnaML and singig like this.
  7. Peter hesk

Peter hesk New Member

upload_2020-9-21_14-23-47.jpeg
    any idea of what coin this is has female bust on rear

ominus1 and singig like this.
  8. Peter hesk

Peter hesk New Member

9. Justin Lee

That's actually Palmyran boy ruler (under is mother, Zenobia's, guidance as regent), Vaballathus. Aurelius is on obverse. Your's (LB/LE) is the year after mine (LA/LΔ) I posted just a couple posts above. Your's is very nice.

ominus1 and singig like this.
  10. Peter hesk

Peter hesk New Member

Thanks for the info

11. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I love the pageboy hair cut.

12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..where you get extra patina at no extra charge:O ><

singig, DonnaML and Justin Lee like this.
  13. Peter hesk

Peter hesk New Member

???

14. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Some sellers, including that one, are well-known for applying artificial "desert patina" to the coins they offer.

15. Peter hesk

Peter hesk New Member

Ah I see is mine genuine and not been messed about with, it was my dads he got when he was a boy and I’m rather new to coin collecting, I like the history behind the coin.

16. Peter hesk

Peter hesk New Member

Also what is desert patina and what should I look for if I decide to buy coins in future, sorry me being new to all this and don’t want to buy something that’s not correct.

17. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

It's that orange-yellow color that supposedly comes from being buried in a desert for a couple of thousand years. Apparently very easy to fake, and easy to remove if it is fake. The reason some dealers fake it is that there are some collectors who like the way it looks, including the way it highlights the high points of the coin, where no desert patina is applied.

18. Justin Lee

My examples were original find sandy patina and green/teal adhesions and not "cheeto" patina.

Here's a thread about this phenomenon. I do have to say that zurqieh is a pretty trustworthy seller as genuine coins go, but a discerning eye helps to keep you from an authentic coin with "makeup" added.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/from-a-to-z-and-orange-to-yellow.290945/

ominus1 and DonnaML like this.
  19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..we joke about it around here ...he's been known to put a lil exta on, not that coins aren't legit, but sometimes he gets carried away with patina add on...:)

Kentucky and Justin Lee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted